doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: nca225 OT: Tick protection for bird dogs - 05/16/11 12:36 AM
I'm gonna be picking up my first bird dog at the end of June and I'm researching tick protection for him. I figure that there many board members that have bird dogs and I would like to hear what you guys use to protect your hunting buddy. Any thoughts or advice on products would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Chris
Posted By: Orry Re: OT: Tick protection for bird dogs - 05/16/11 12:50 AM
We use Frontline Plus - keeps em' off.
Posted By: suddenthunder Re: OT: Tick protection for bird dogs - 05/16/11 12:55 AM
K9 Advantics III Pick it up at walmart
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: OT: Tick protection for bird dogs - 05/16/11 12:56 AM
We used to use Frontline, but changed to Advantix because of a recommendation by our vet. Unlike Frontline, Advantix also fends off mosquitoes---which are a real issue in our neck of the woods.
Posted By: gspspinone Re: OT: Tick protection for bird dogs - 05/16/11 01:04 AM
Advantix is much more water resistent than Frontline and repels ticks/fleas and mosquitos better. I also use Coulston's Duranon Filed Dog Spray when I'm in the "thick of it."

The Coulston's works incredibly well and can be applied just before field work and in addition to Advantix ot Frontline.
Posted By: Gerry Addison Re: OT: Tick protection for bird dogs - 05/16/11 12:17 PM
I've used Frontline for years and it has always worked well for me. I have a pond in my yard and the dogs are in it constantly during the summer and I still get 1 month of tick and flea protection from Frontline. It is expensive though.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: OT: Tick protection for bird dogs - 05/16/11 12:27 PM
I live in Tick Central (northern Wisconsin). Have always used Frontline. Consulted with the vet about switching to Advantix. His advice was to stick with Frontline, because ticks will still occasionally attach with Advantix, and this is a serious area for Lyme disease. If you don't have as many ticks and if you have other problems, something else might be better in your area.

I read elsewhere that the patent on Frontline has now expired and a cheaper, generic version is available at Wal-Mart. I still have some Frontline left, but will check on that.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: OT: Tick protection for bird dogs - 05/16/11 12:47 PM
While we're on the subject, a friend mentioned there's a lyme disease vaccine now.
Posted By: mark Re: OT: Tick protection for bird dogs - 05/16/11 01:06 PM
I have used Bio Spot for years. Ticks are in full bloom here and I have 4 Tick free dogs. Some have reported sensitivity problems but I never have.
Posted By: Norm Re: OT: Tick protection for bird dogs - 05/16/11 05:15 PM
I use the BioSpot too. My hounds still pick up some ticks, but the little devils (ticks) soon die. Really works on fleas - I haven't seen a flea in 10 years.
Posted By: Erik W Re: OT: Tick protection for bird dogs - 05/16/11 08:01 PM
FrontLine Plus here.
Posted By: sweep Re: OT: Tick protection for bird dogs - 05/16/11 08:29 PM
I also use fronline. I did get my pointer the Lymes disease vaccine. I get a booster shot every year or so. We ran into a mess of ticks last fall grouse hunting in PA. The dog was fine, I was freaked out for days. We must have picked at least 60+ ticks off of the dog and 2 of us. I only hunt there after Jan 1st now.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: OT: Tick protection for bird dogs - 05/16/11 08:42 PM
Ticks are bad in Georgia this year and i pick about as many off me as i do my Brittany! Bobby
I use Advantix as regular all year flea and tick protection, and carry Frontline in the car boot and give a a couple of sprays in each dog when going to a hot spot.
It works well, and we have loads of them
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT: Tick protection for bird dogs - 05/16/11 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: bbman3
Ticks are bad in Georgia this year and i pick about as many off me as i do my Brittany! Bobby

Bobby, I spray my camo with Permanone (I think the new name is Duranone) at the beginning of Tick (turkey) season and it lasts all Spring, even through a few necessary launderings. I don't know what's in it, but you're not supposed to spray it directly on your skin, just the clothing. Using it, I haven't noticed a tick on ME in several years...Geo
Posted By: ed good Re: OT: Tick protection for bird dogs - 05/16/11 10:03 PM
the best protection from ticks and other blood suckers is to vote republican...
Posted By: GMCS Re: OT: Tick protection for bird dogs - 05/16/11 11:40 PM
I prefer revolution once a month heartworm,flea and tick protection. I order it online from Pet-Shed six month supply at a time.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com