doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Since You Were BSS'ing Lately - 05/07/11 06:40 PM
here's one from that other place I know you never go. Again, I don't know the gun or the owner and if you get it you better pay the Weber man here
have a day
Dr.WtS

Subject: Browning 12Ga SxS
Email: racara60@gmail.com
Date: Thu, May 05, 2011 - 12:38 PM ET
Website Address:
Very rare 30", single trigger, beaver tail fore arm, in EXCELLENT condition, no box or case! Its just the way it came from the factory originally.
$1600.00!!!!!!!!!
Pics are available for serious buyers!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Since You Were BSS'ing Lately - 05/07/11 07:08 PM
Two minutes of my life I'll never get back....

Best,
Ted
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Since You Were BSS'ing Lately - 05/07/11 11:48 PM
Never liked them regardless of the price. Their fit and finish is good but they're way too heavy per gauge to be a good field gun.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Since You Were BSS'ing Lately - 05/08/11 12:06 AM
Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Never liked them regardless of the price. Their fit and finish is good but they're way too heavy per gauge to be a good field gun.

In your opinion. Pretty darn good as a waterfowler and clays gun, tho'.

Stan
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Since You Were BSS'ing Lately - 05/08/11 02:25 AM
Bland as salt-free, skinless weiners-there are better tools for either discipline. I haven't seen the gun, but, with a single trigger and a beaverstail appendage, I'm pretty sure I hate it, already. The Japanese did a few things better than anybody else, film cameras and anything to do with superbike racing comes to mind, but, their guns are really implements of a truly boring nature.
Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Since You Were BSS'ing Lately - 05/08/11 02:50 AM
Ya'll will have to excuse ol' Ted. He likes Darnes.
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Since You Were BSS'ing Lately - 05/08/11 03:11 AM
Mine floated the boat well enough to win AA class and Veterans in the S x S events last year at the U S Open. And those dead Georgia and Arkansas mallards and woodies "think" highly of it as well.

When it comes to duck guns and clays guns, pretty is as pretty does. It is a great tool for doing those jobs. Nobody ever claimed they were works of art, Teddy.

SRH
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Since You Were BSS'ing Lately - 05/08/11 04:26 AM
I've got a 20 gauge 28" BSS Sidelock. I've had to change the pitch and I added a tasteful leather pad for increased LOP. I love this gun.
Here's an interesting article about a Japanese gun.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/james_flynn_bss_sidelock_article_050104.htm
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Since You Were BSS'ing Lately - 05/08/11 04:42 AM
Ted is right though, they are stout but they're not as stout as a Darne!
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Since You Were BSS'ing Lately - 05/08/11 09:21 AM
The sidelock BSS shares little more than the name of the boxlock guns. I have 1 12g BSS (my first sxs) and 3 20g BSS guns, all boxlocks. All of them have very thick (.045-.050) barrel walls, making them heavy for their gauge. That's a trait they carried over from the Citori line. I shoot them all pretty well. The 20 ga guns are all between 6 1/4 lbs and 6 3/4 lbs.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Since You Were BSS'ing Lately - 05/08/11 01:08 PM
A lot of people would probably like a 12ga BSS with 30" barrels as a sxs Sporting Clays gun, or for waterfowl (with steel-capable choke tubes, or the chokes opened) or maybe turkeys. Most sxs lovers would find it way too heavy for upland hunting. There are not a lot of them out there with 30" barrels. That being said, I saw one in a "big box" sporting goods store a couple years back with a price tag of $1150. I figured someone would snap it up for one or more of the above purposes . . . but it sat for a very long time.

Personally, if I wanted to chase down a relatively modern sxs with 30" barrels, I'd look for one of the Ithaca SKB 12ga Magnums. Not many of them out there either. They're a good bit lighter than a BSS, and I think they might work OK both as an upland and Sporting Clays gun (with choke tubes).
Posted By: Replacement Re: Since You Were BSS'ing Lately - 05/08/11 04:31 PM
The BSS 12 makes a great field gun for pass shooting doves on windy afternoons. The extra weight keeps me from being blown over by the gusts.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Since You Were BSS'ing Lately - 05/09/11 02:58 AM
Is the BSS sidelock made entirely in Japan by Miroku as Mr. Flynn states?
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Since You Were BSS'ing Lately - 05/09/11 01:30 PM
Yes. Miroku made a gun essentially identical to it, years before they made the BSS Sidelock.
Posted By: A W Cope Re: Since You Were BSS'ing Lately - 05/09/11 08:07 PM
Way to go Stan nice to here from someone that can shoot. I'll bet most of the experts here can't hit the ground with their empties.

AC
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com