doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Krakow Kid More RBL Fireworks a'Comin...... - 03/28/11 10:20 PM
Is the assisted opening feature actually worth the nearly $500 they ask for it?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: More RBL Fireworks a'Comin...... - 03/28/11 10:37 PM
Don't know. Not to me, anyway, I lost my invite to ride in the queen's shooting brake, but, maybe someone else might feel different. But, have a look-see at the chambers on this spiffy new RBL and just try to tell me you don't want to puke all over the floor:

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10485&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I'd have wrapped it about someone's head back there. I'm sure the POI problems only cost a few bucks extra.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: More RBL Fireworks a'Comin...... - 03/28/11 11:02 PM
Yeeoooww! Not so good
Posted By: Genelang Re: More RBL Fireworks a'Comin...... - 03/28/11 11:24 PM
Ain't no free lunch. They're harder to close, so I guess it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. Mine has it, but if I'd bought it new, it wouldn't.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: More RBL Fireworks a'Comin...... - 03/29/11 12:12 AM
IMO, they're not worth paying a single cent! In fact, money would be better spent to pay them to leave 'em off.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: More RBL Fireworks a'Comin...... - 03/29/11 01:09 AM
Good God.

Those chambers look like worn out brake drums.
Posted By: Tom28ga Re: More RBL Fireworks a'Comin...... - 03/29/11 01:40 AM
I have two RBL-28's, one with assisted opening, one without. I bought the one with assisted opening used and, although it is an interesting gadget, I wouldn't pay $450.00 for it.
Yes, it is harder to close.
Incidentally, I have owned two RBL-16's (one traded on the assisted opening RBL-28) and never had any quality issues. They are just too heavy for what I use a 16ga. for.
Obviously, this RBL is not over weight and the rest you can work through. It's not like CSMC to miss something as blatant as this.
I'm sure they got it right the second time.
Posted By: Doverham Re: More RBL Fireworks a'Comin...... - 03/29/11 01:59 AM
KK - this thread on the SSM forum discusses the issue a bit

RBL Assisted Opening

Going down to the basement now to check all my RBLs barrels . . . .
Posted By: John Roberts Re: More RBL Fireworks a'Comin...... - 03/29/11 02:08 AM
Good friend of mine recently found an as-new Launch Edition with assisted opening. It's actually pretty nice. Hardly any difference in closing effort than mine without the a.o., and it really makes opening the gun almost effortless. He bought it for $3500 with a superb piece of exhibition Turkish walnut, so he didn't pay extra for the a.o. It's a nice feature, but not sure it's worth $500.
JR
Posted By: Mark Ouellette Re: More RBL Fireworks a'Comin...... - 03/29/11 12:12 PM
CSMC gave me an assisted opener when I sent back a RBL-12 for repair. I was surprised to discover thes feature when they returned the gun. It's a cool (can we still use that term?) feature but does make closing a little harder. I do not think it is worth the $450 of course neither was the Vent Rib...

Mark
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: More RBL Fireworks a'Comin...... - 03/29/11 12:50 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

MarkOue - What's the story with that vent rib? In anypictures I've seen of these guns I can't discern one. Is it only on the 28 bore (which is the one I'll get if I do get one)?

I'd also be getting it with 30" barrels. Any experience with such a set up?
Posted By: Doverham Re: More RBL Fireworks a'Comin...... - 03/29/11 01:56 PM
KK - I have an RBL28 with both 28" barrels (SK/LM) and 30" barrels (LM/IM). I find with the 28" barrels I need to concentrate on keeping the gun moving on passing shots (ie, skeet stations 3-5). I am taking the 30" barrels out for their maiden voyage tomorrow, but they feel very fine swinging them around in the basement. The gun is just over 6lbs with the 30" barrels.
Posted By: Mark Ouellette Re: More RBL Fireworks a'Comin...... - 03/29/11 03:21 PM
KK,

The RBL-12 Vent Rib provides a flat sighting plane and little more. Put your money into Exhibition wood!

I own both light and heavy RBL-12s. Both guns have 32" barrels. I ordered these because one cannot buy another new SxS with 32" barrels. Being unique should help them hold their value.

I would only buy the 28 GA with the 30" barrels since that is a combination that is hard to find from other makers.
I like mine. No harder to close.
Posted By: Tom28ga Re: More RBL Fireworks a'Comin...... - 03/31/11 04:22 PM
It is definitely harder to close. Since I have two RBL-28's, one with and one without assisted opening, I have the perfect comparison.
I wouldn't put the money into assisted opening. It would be cool if it didn't cost $450.
The vent rib comes on 12/16ga. guns only. Save your money or put it into something else.
Posted By: Mark Ouellette Re: More RBL Fireworks a'Comin...... - 03/31/11 05:32 PM
I agree with Tom having 2 RBL-12's. Definely harder to close with the assisted opener.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com