doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Suzkat Cased Parker 1894 w/2 12 Ga barrels 28"&30" - 02/10/11 02:53 PM
Can I get some opinions about an 1892 Parker shotgun
grade 2 G. The gun is in very fine condition with
2 barrels in original silk lined wooden case.
What would a value range be for this shotgun?
Suzkat,
From the information provided it is impossible to even ballpark value of your gun. Value is established by condition, originality, grade, features and manufacturer. Some clear detailed pictures with added info would help with your request.
Bob Jurewicz
Hi Bob, The gun is hammerless and the two barrels are both
12 ga with different choke. The condition, grade and mfg were
provided. Just looking for a reasonable range. Originality is
not in the picture as the gun is a standard issue Parker. Sorry
I don't have decent pictures.
With the information given the range is $500 to $10,000 +-. Your comment "Originality is not in the picture as the gun is a standard issue Parker" does not make sense. A two-barrel set was never "standard issue". Special order, but not standard issue.
Still not enough info for a reasonable response. Post the full S/N so that someone can check configuration in the serialization book. Post barrel type (marked on the ribs), length, chokes, chambers, stock and butt configuration (pads decrease value unless original to the gun), and whether each barrel has its own forend. Originality refers not only to the configuration but to the state of the finishes on the gun. Are there any accessories in the case? Are the accessories original Parker? Value could be from a few hundred to tens of thousands.

"Very fine condition" is pretty subjective. Pics help a lot.
Suzkat: If you post the serial number someone here with access to the company records may be able to give you more specific information. Also, what type of steel do the barrels have (this would be printed on the top ribs). A letter from the PGCA will also give you a lot of iformation if they have the records.

Best Regards, George
"Value" also depends on whether you are buying, selling, settling an estate, or just insuring.
Suzkat when you say "two barrels" do you mean two barrels attached to each other?

Or do you mean two barrel sets, ie two sets of two barrels attached to each other?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike, Two barrel sets in the case with matching serial #s.
The serial number on the gun is 79826.
Originally Posted By: Suzkat
Mike, Two barrel sets in the case with matching serial #s.
The serial number on the gun is 79826.

This Parker is in the serialization book as a 1894 Grade 2 damascus 12 gauge with capped pistol grip stock and extra set of barrels, one of which is 28". Pictures would really help in giving ballpark pricing, but it looks like a winner for now.
Suzkat, lots of info here also, they will be looking for same info as here though.
http://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php
Cheers Bob
I apologize but the pictures I took with my cell camera are poor at best and really don't show the condition. The gun is in tremendous condition and looks like it's been cased all it's life
with little use. The gun is 2.5 hours from me and I can't get
there to take pictures. I'm not holding anyone to any numbers, but need an idea of whether this gun is worth pursuing or not.
If I could get a spread of $5K on the value that would be sufficient.
I can email pictures to you but I can't post them here.
Find out the lengths of the barrel sets, and condition of the bores, firstly. If the barrels have been cut, or there is pitting in the bores, that will adversely affect value. Pictures are key. An 1892 GH two-barrel set would be very desirable, if everything was right about the gun.
The barrels are uncut and the bores are smooth.
How do you know they are uncut?
One is 28 Inches the other is 30" and that's how they were manufactured.
An earlier poster said the serialization book detailed one set of barrels being 28". The only way to confirm is to see the barrels yourself. A Parker letter on the gun from the PGCA would detail such information.
How is this "Parker Letter" obtained?
Spend some wonderful time here smile

http://parkerguns.org/

Suzkat: Follow skeettz advice and go to "research letters" on the PGCA website Better still, join the PGCA for $40.00 and for another $40.00 you can get a letter on your gun (instead of $60.00 for non-members) The gun that you are looking at could easily be worth $5,000.00 or a bit more if it is in the condition that you describe with uncut barrels and bright bores that haven't been honed too thin. The provenance that a PGCA letter will give you could also enhance the value. To give you and example: I own a Parker 20 gauge that the letter showed it being shipped to a well known manager of a big league baseball team. A Parker Grade 2, GH Grade, with an original two barrel set would, quite often, have been ordered direct from the factory by someone with more than average means. IMHO

Best Regards, George
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com