doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: tudorturtle Browning Tolex Cases - from what era? - 01/08/07 03:04 AM
Q1: Any idea on when Browning was selling the blue lined, tolex covered cases?

I have one for a pre-war gun, but after a net search I see Tolex material was invented in '45, so it's not original with the gun.

Q2: Was there a standard factory case for pre-war Supers?
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Browning Tolex Cases - from what era? - 01/08/07 03:46 AM
Yeti,
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is Tolex material? I've seen the cases advertised, but thought Tolex was the maker name.
"
Tolex is the trade name of a flexible plastic/vinyl material used to cover Fender amplifiers, Coffin Case® guitar cases and guitar cases from the 1960s onwards.

Tolex was also used in marine upholstery applications found in classic Chris-Craft® models and other boats.

Tolex was originally filed as a trademark on August 30, 1945 by the Textileather Corporation, and is currently registered as "a plastic sheet and film material for book binding and case covering for speakers and amplifiers" to GenCorp Inc. of Fairlawn, Ohio.

Although the term "Tolex" is often used as a generic description for any amplifier or guitar case vinyl-type covering, most, apart from Fender and Rickenbacker related products, are not actually Tolex brand.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolex"
"
Posted By: eightbore Re: Browning Tolex Cases - from what era? - 01/08/07 01:27 PM
Pre-war, (and pre-Tolex) Browning cases were black or dark brown leather and imitation leather covered cases with fitted felt covered interior. The real leather case was the Model A, the leatherette was the Model B, both for automatics and the Models S and SB for the Superposed. They may have been available until the introduction of the Tolex in the 50s, but for a certain period of time, no cases were mentioned in the catalogs possibly indicating that the pre-war cases were no longer available. These early cases are relatively easy to identify is the brass logo plate is intact. The interiors will identify them also because, if original, nothing much will fit in them except the gun they were designed for.
Thanks eightbore! For now it'll be a mismatched gun & case.
In 50 years maybe it'll be a "not original but period case".
Posted By: eightbore Re: Browning Tolex Cases - from what era? - 01/09/07 02:09 PM
I have a first year 28" 20 gauge Superposed in high condition. I don't expect to be able to find a prewar style case for that gun. The most original I ever expect to be is my 1949 gun with 1950s Tolex case. That's just the way it goes. I would trade my nice prewar A-5 case for the same case made for a Superposed though.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com