doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Mike Bonner WW Greener circa 1888 - 01/20/11 11:17 PM
I have a 12 bore Greener BLNE, 30" Damascus barrels, s/n 34824 and "item No 57" engraved after the serial number. What might this mean?
The gun has the typical side safety and the action is lightly engraved.
The gun is mechanically sound, it has a strange lock-up with a steel stub protruding from the back of the front lug.
Does anyone know what model this is and its approximate worth?
thanks,
Mike
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: WW Greener circa 1888 - 01/21/11 12:24 AM
Your gun was made circa 1892.I believe that you will find on closer examination that number 57 is in fact 37. These numbers are usually engraved on the trigger guard as,"List 37",rather than item!These numbers represent one of Greener,s many grading systems. This grading system was in use from 1889-1894.
The action you describe is Greener,s patent hammerless cocking system called"The facile Princeps action", It was designed to compete with the Anson and Deeley patent action.This action resulted in a patent suit in which Westley Richards owners of the A&D patent claimed patent infringement. The courts ruled in favour of Greener.
When new, your gun was listed as Medium quality, but at the lower end of the price range.List price was 20 gns.By comparison their best gun was priced at 60 gns.[1 guinea = 1 pound one shilling, stirling]
Pictures of your gun including Proof marks together with barrel dimensions would help to estimate its approximate value.
By chance I examined a similar gun yesterday! This gun was ruined by the addition and removal of a ventilated rib,restocked with a fence post!! triggers mutilated,way out of proof; value almost nothing!Hope yours is all origional?
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: WW Greener circa 1888 - 01/21/11 01:09 AM
Thanks, Roy, I want to insure the gun, it's all original, locks up tight, Damascus barrels good, no dents no pitting.
Cosmetically, the squished silvers pad needs replacing, barrels re-browned. It's off to Arkansas to have a broken sear repaired and a good overhaul. Black powder proofs, 30" barrels, full and modified chokes. Wood needs a clean. Checkering needs attention, I suspect this gun had a broken sear and was put in a gun cabinet
for years, it has had little use.
If it was in good working and cosmetic condition, and in proof, would it fetch $3,000.00?
Mike
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: WW Greener circa 1888 - 01/21/11 12:54 PM
Mike, In my Opinion a the estimated Price range for your Greener following repairs as described is $1250-1750.[ie it being an extactor gun,with damascus barrels.]
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: WW Greener circa 1888 - 01/22/11 01:32 AM
Thank you Roy. Here is another gun I must insure, a really nice William Evans best 12 bore BLE, single trigger, (Evan's Patent Single Trigger),28" barrels I/C x IC choked, semi-pistol grip stock. 1925 built. Overall excellent, barrels re-blacked by Hugh Lomas two year ago, mechanics overhauled by Les Paul 3 years ago, hardly shot since, 2 1/2" chambers.
Could you give me a rough value on that gun?
Thank you Roy,
Mike Bonner
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com