doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: eightbore William Evans Records - 12/15/10 02:22 PM
Can anyone direct me to the owner of the William Evans records, and/or a book that has a chart of dates of manufacture by serial number? Thanks.
Posted By: PeteM Re: William Evans Records - 12/15/10 02:44 PM
Bill,

You can get info from them directly:
http://www.williamevans.com/

Also Nigel Brown in Vol 1 page 107 has a serial number list.

Pete
Posted By: gjw Re: William Evans Records - 12/15/10 04:23 PM
Hi Eightbore, I'm sure if you post the SN, someone here can give you a date. I and am sure several others have Browns book that we can find a date for you.

All the best!

Greg
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: William Evans Records - 12/16/10 01:02 AM
HEY! I want in on this, baby! Here's the serial # of my William Evans 12 bore: 4634

I would be most grateful for any help in this quest. I tried awhile back but came up empty. Got NO help from the Evans folk.

Many Thanks - Marc
Posted By: PeteM Re: William Evans Records - 12/16/10 01:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
HEY! I want in on this, baby! Here's the serial # of my William Evans 12 bore: 4634

According to Brown's list, that is 1899.

Pete
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: William Evans Records - 12/16/10 01:47 AM
PeteM, while you have the book out, would you please look up the date of manufacture of my 12 bore Wm Evans BLE 13821?
Thanks a bunch,
Mike Bonner
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: William Evans Records - 12/16/10 02:29 AM
My God, Pete, you are a true font of information and it appears I have undeservedly been reaping data supplied by you in post after post the past couple-three days or so, and that's not counting back any further where I'm sure I'd see the true depth of my debt. I truly appreciate your help! Many Thanks - Marc
Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: William Evans Records - 12/16/10 02:51 AM
Hi Mike, According to Nigels book your Evans was made in 1925.
Are you visiting my neighbourhood again this year for Xmas? Terry
Posted By: PeteM Re: William Evans Records - 12/16/10 03:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
My God, Pete, you are a true font of information and it appears I have undeservedly been reaping data supplied by you in post after post the past couple-three days or so, and that's not counting back any further where I'm sure I'd see the true depth of my debt. I truly appreciate your help! Many Thanks - Marc

You are welcome. Thank Dave for the BBS. I have yet to find any other place where serious information can be exchanged and vetted.

Pete
Posted By: eightbore Re: William Evans Records - 12/16/10 01:05 PM
Thanks to everyone, especially PeteM, who got me back into Nigel Brown's book. I went through the book yesterday and missed the serial number section which I knew was in there somewhere. The gun I was researching turned out to be a 1915 gun. I have heard that Evans either was or wasn't a best gun maker and that he either did or didn't make his guns in house. What is the true story? I know that Evans guns don't sell for best gun prices, but are the guns best guns?
Posted By: George L. Re: William Evans Records - 12/16/10 09:45 PM
Bill: William Evans worked both for Purdey's and Holland's before starting out on his own in 1883. The Evans gun that I have is marked "William Evans (From Purdey's)" Brown's book says "Starting as he did in the 1880's, Evans moved straight into the breech loading era and offered customers a very wide variety of types and grades of gun & rifle, including imported specimens, to suit every purse".

Evens bespoke highest grade guns that I've see would compare favouably with any of those of his former employers IMHO. 1915 serial numbers go from @11,000 to 11,436 although the ledger book for that period is missing.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: WildCattle Re: William Evans Records - 12/17/10 06:18 AM
My Wm Evans DR #4476 has been dated by them (by phone) to 1899.
They told me that they responded better outside of the hunting season.
Best regards,
WC-
Posted By: eightbore Re: William Evans Records - 12/17/10 02:01 PM
Thanks, George. I was quite disappointed when I read in Brown that the ledger book that I was interested in was not available.
Posted By: gunman Re: William Evans Records - 12/17/10 08:05 PM
Most of the William Evans guns I have seem came out of Webley's factory. They used to have a display board on show at Game Fairs which was essentialy a gun stripped down and all the parts layed out .This was a Webley gun as well.
Posted By: eightbore Re: William Evans Records - 12/17/10 10:43 PM
Does this include full sidelock Evans guns stocked to the fences? Would such guns be considered to be sourced from Evans' shop? Thanks for replies.
Posted By: Patriot USA Re: William Evans Records - 12/18/10 04:22 AM
Is Mr. Brown's book just for Evans or all English guns?

I have an English gun with
Posted By: PeteM Re: William Evans Records - 12/18/10 05:06 AM
He has 3 volumes---

Volume I - British Gunmakers: London

Volume II - British Gunmakers: Birmingham, Regional and Scotland,

VIII - British Gunmakers: Index, Appendices & Additional London, Birmingham, Regional And Scottish Records.

There are certainly others out there worth owning as well.

Pete
Posted By: gunman Re: William Evans Records - 12/19/10 01:52 PM
Eightbore Evans had guns made by a number of people the large majority were by Webley & Scott . He was what was called a Gun Master ,in so much as he owned the company and had made or commissioned gun to be made to his specification and bearing his name and sold by him. The fact that he only maintained a small work shop and had no factory does not exclude him from being classed as gun maker. There were numerous other "makers" who out sourced all their production to the likes of Webley ,Midland, Holloways,Standard Gun,Wrights,etc.etc.
Posted By: eightbore Re: William Evans Records - 12/19/10 01:58 PM
Thanks for the information.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com