doublegunshop.com - home
Need some suggestions for a quality leather fleece or shearling lined shotgun case. I will consider either zip-up long case, or good used leg o mutton. I'd like to keep this in the $200 or under category. It must be capable of housing a 32" barreled side-by-side.

Thanks, Stan
I have a Bob Allen suede and shearling zip case that I got a few years ago. Surprisingly nice case, but no pocket for tubes and stuff. Don't remember the price, but it was quite reasonable.
Posted By: PA24 Re: Leather fleece or shearling lined gun cases - 11/07/10 01:56 PM
Stan:

Hunter brand makes a very nice long case that is thick shearling lined (man made..?.), large metal zipper, quality heavy leather and canvas exterior...very robust....Nice earthtones for color...around $50.00-$75.00 or so....

I have several and use them for rifles and shotguns with very long barrels, i.e. Sharps etc.

They hold up quite well....

Available at Sportsmans Warehouse in Columbia, S.C.

Best,
Thanks, Doug. That may be what I'm looking for. I've got a "new" Elsie with 32" barrels that I will be using a good deal, and want to protect it well while it's out of the safe. I've never seen many leg o' mutton cases with fleece or shearling lining, and never really card for the way the gun rattles around inside one with cloth lining.

That's really a good price for a heavy shearling lined case. I'll scope it out now.

Stan
A little more than your budget, but Duluth Pack makes some just beautiful cases: http://duluthpack.com/outdoor-gear/hunt-fish/leather-canvas-gun-cases/leather-shotgun-case.html
Stan,
I have a couple of Orvis Battenkill canvas & leather, plastic zippered and shearling-lined gun cases that I had always thought were great cases, these sell for about $150 each. But I had a need for a longer case and that's when I did a little research and then purchased a Galazan's "Gamekeeper" canvas & leather, metal zippered, fleece-lined case. These cases are in a league of their own in terms of offering protection, as there is a whole lot more padding in these than any other case of this type that I've seen offered. At $75 each I'd rate them a "Best Buy". I would suggest you take a look at one for your 32" Elsie.
http://www.csmcspecials.com/Gamekeeper_Slip_In_Case_p/c0400.htm
I bought a couple of these Boyt Heritage cases. Paid $165 each. They are pretty good for the money. Retail for $250.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Boyt-GCL150-Heritage...=item483d0dd30b
Posted By: mark Re: Leather fleece or shearling lined gun cases - 11/07/10 10:40 PM
As someone who refinishes wood and metal I love metal zippers!!!
Originally Posted By: mark
As someone who refinishes wood and metal I love metal zippers!!!

You know Mark, I wear pants that have metal zippers and I've NEVER gotten my whichamacallit caught in the zipper---thank you Jesus! And I would suspect that very few of us has had their whichamacallit caught more than once as we learn very quickly...one just has to use this same degree of caution when using gun cases with metal zippers.
Posted By: mark Re: Leather fleece or shearling lined gun cases - 11/08/10 01:52 AM
Poor analogy unless little Greg has 30in barrel!
Originally Posted By: bamboozler
Stan,
I have a couple of Orvis Battenkill canvas & leather, plastic zippered and shearling-lined gun cases that I had always thought were great cases, these sell for about $150 each. But I had a need for a longer case and that's when I did a little research and then purchased a Galazan's "Gamekeeper" canvas & leather, metal zippered, fleece-lined case. These cases are in a league of their own in terms of offering protection, as there is a whole lot more padding in these than any other case of this type that I've seen offered. At $75 each I'd rate them a "Best Buy". I would suggest you take a look at one for your 32" Elsie.
http://www.csmcspecials.com/Gamekeeper_Slip_In_Case_p/c0400.htm

I second the Galazan cases. My wife bought me one of their double cases a few years ago; the case really does seem to offer more protection thna some of the other I've seen.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com