doublegunshop.com - home
While I have been able to find what seem to be fairly complete listings of proof marks from proof houses in London, Birmingham, Liege etc, it has been much harder finding illustrations and definitions for the proof marks from some of the other key (and not so key) European gun-making centres. I'm specifically thinking German, Austrian and Czech but am interested in others as well.

Does anyone know of any good books, articles or web links?

I have enough trouble understanding all the proof marks and codes I can reference. Damn near impossible on the ones I can't.

Regards,

James
Probably the easiest to find is "THE STANDARD DIRECTORY OF PROOF MARKS" by Gerhard Wirnsberger translated by R.A. Steindler. It takes a little study to understand the German section but then the other sections are more or less parallel.

Also you may be able to find The History of Proof Marks as printed over a couple editions of Gun Digest beginning in the 22d edition. Maybe someone on here would be willing to copy and mail a set of these too you. They are easier to understand than Wirnsberger I think.
James,

One of the better books is:

"The Standard Directory of Proof Marks"

by Gerhard Wirnsberger [translated by R.A. Steindler]

As you might imagine by the title, it covers virtually all the areas you are having difficulty with. My copy is softbound & was under $20 when I purchased it some years ago. It was distributed by Publishers Blacksmith Corp. in Chino Valley, AZ 86323

Their toll free number listed was 1-800-531-2665. I have no idea if it is still valid, but you might try it.

kind regards, tw
Here are the Gun Digest articles by Lee Kennett for proof marks:
22nd Edition Czechoslovakia -1968
23rd Edition Austria Hungary & Austria - 1969
24th Edition France - 1970
25th Edition Spain -1971
26th Edition Italy - 1972
27th Edition Hungary - 1973
28th Edition Russia - 1974
29th Edition Germany -1975
30th Edition Military - 1976
31st Edition England - 1977
32nd Edition Belgium - 1978
33rd Edition India -1979

15 year Gun Digest Treasury contains 9 articles by A Baron Engehardt. The Kennett articles are newer.

"The Standard Directory of Proof Marks" by Gerhard Wirnsberger is worthwhile.

You can pickup copies of Gun Digest on ebay for $5 or $6 a piece.

Pete
Try here http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Directory...mp;sr=1-1-fkmr1

Jim A.
I must admit, I've had trouble making heads or tails out of the German info in Standard Directory.
Thanks Pete, for the GD list, I've got '75 and I'll give that a whirl.
Originally Posted By: PeteM
Here are the Gun Digest articles by Lee Kennett....

You can pickup copies of Gun Digest on ebay for $5 or $6 a piece.

Pete

Are these the Gun Digest Annuals?
Yes.

Pete
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com