doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: improved modified Macon Gunstocks - 05/18/10 06:55 PM
Anybody had experience with Macon Gunstocks? They seem reasonably priced.
Posted By: PA24 Re: Macon Gunstocks - 05/18/10 07:02 PM
Dishonest yo-yo's with junk stocks..........IMO....if you like sending it back and forth several times, have at it........that company never follows the original lines.......does no good to send them an old stock, because they won't copy it....(use their own plugs)....they operate under "one size fits all" mentality........?...........Husband and wife operation and neither tell the customer the same thing....

That's the place "Ed the Torch" uses and you've seen his re-stocked nightmares.............
Posted By: improved modified Re: Macon Gunstocks - 05/18/10 08:16 PM
O.K. If not who else does inletted gunstocks for a fairly decent price. In paticular, I'm looking for XXX wood for a Marlin 336.
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: Macon Gunstocks - 05/18/10 08:51 PM
http://www.gunstocksinc.com/index.html

ed and rhonda have always treated me fair and given great service. everything i have ever gotten from macon has been undersized or so close you couldn't sand it.
Posted By: improved modified Re: Macon Gunstocks - 05/19/10 08:41 PM
Thanks guys!
Posted By: Patriot USA Re: Macon Gunstocks - 05/20/10 03:21 AM
Here's a stock I put on a 311A from gunstocksinc. $50

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/displayimage.php?pid=6662&fullsize=1
Posted By: Vol423 Re: Macon Gunstocks - 05/20/10 03:35 AM
Stay away from gunstocksinc. I sent them a Savage 1899 stock and fore end to copy and the duplicate stock had oversized inletting and chunks out of the top line of the fore end. I returned the duplicate for them to try again and they kept half my money, refunded the rest and wouldn't make another attempt. Poor workmanship and dishonest in the worst sense.
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: Macon Gunstocks - 05/20/10 01:21 PM
I must say I'm shocked at yer story. I have had them make 50 stocks for me over 5 years and have had no trouble at al with them. On one occasion I had a bad fit and a mislocated hole on a crescent stock from them and they sent me a new stock free and told me to keep the old one. I think calling them dishonest is a bit harsh. How was that dishonest?
Posted By: Gunstock1 Re: Macon Gunstocks - 05/28/10 03:02 PM
I have purchased several stocks from Macon Gunstocks. Very little inletting and great product. Have been dealing with Macons for 5 years with no problems.
Posted By: mc Re: Macon Gunstocks - 05/28/10 05:41 PM
i have used gunstocks inc and had zero problem.i sent them my own wood for an lc and a fluse. worked out fine for me mc
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Macon Gunstocks - 05/28/10 05:51 PM
Fred Wenig
Posted By: clampdaddy Re: Macon Gunstocks - 08/12/10 10:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Vol423
Stay away from gunstocksinc. I sent them a Savage 1899 stock and fore end to copy and the duplicate stock had oversized inletting and chunks out of the top line of the fore end. I returned the duplicate for them to try again and they kept half my money, refunded the rest and wouldn't make another attempt. Poor workmanship and dishonest in the worst sense.

I should've paid heed to your post. I just got screwed by gunstocks inc. too. They sent me a set of NID Itaca stocks and the rear piece was inletted crooked. I called them and they insisted that I send back both peices of wood because they are a matched set so I'm thinking they're gonna see whats wrong and send me a new set.....wrong. They get the top part of the reciever into the stock, says it wasn't defective and doesn't even bother to see how far off the bottom was. He didn't bother to call or e-mail me, he credits me 75% of the total purchase, not just the rear stock and he wouldn't do anything more. Their bottom inlet was about a fat eighth inch off center and my bottom metal was just shy of a sixteenth wider than their inlet. Basically I'd have to fill a gap on one side with accra glass and I wasn't happy with that. He says he held his bottom metal up and it lined up just fine.

Does that look fine to you? Buyer beware. They are crooks!
Posted By: roostertails Re: Macon Gunstocks - 08/15/10 11:03 AM
clampdaddy,
I just purchased an NID stock set from gunstocks Inc. that they said a fellow had returned because he didn't know how to fit the stocks to his gun. They told me they had fit the buttstock to their shop gun and everything fit just fine. This must be the set clampdaddy returned.
Well I recieved the stock set and it fit on my customers gun with very very minor fitting and I must say they did an excellant job of fitting the buttstock to their gun as it fit my customers gun without any problem. There was no gaps or acra glassing required, I finished the stocks and my customer was very happy.
I have purchased several stock sets for Ithaca flues and NID's from Gunstocks Inc and have never had any problems. I would highly recommend them anytime.
I will bring this thread to gunstocks Inc's. Attention. They will probably want to tell their side of the story.
Posted By: tut Re: Macon Gunstocks - 08/15/10 02:54 PM
I think you have a couple of choices here. Do you want a 90-95% inletted blank that's inexpensive or do you want your original stock duplicated to 99%. Also, do you want to use your wood or use the wood they supply. Price will self adjust as they say based on your needs. I think if we have a better idea of what exactly you want we can probably provide better suggestions.
Posted By: clampdaddy Re: Macon Gunstocks - 08/30/10 10:45 PM
roostertails,
I have two NIDs and the stocks wont interchange on them. That's why the serial numbers were stamped on the wood. They had to be hand fit to each particular gun because there are variances between them all. Apparently you didn't notice or have a problem with the fact that there was no wood on the front of the stock you recieved to fit up inside of the receiver either. You probably also didn't notice that the fore arm was a half inch to short for an early NID and almost and inch and a half to short for a later model NID. One thing I noticed is that fifteen days ago you registered here, dug thru a couple pages worth of posts to find mine, made a reply, and haven't made a single post since then. Sounds a little fishy to me.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Macon Gunstocks - 08/30/10 11:24 PM
Gunstock1 also is on his first post and loves Macon. I guess he's an honest poster, but I'm not 100% sure.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Macon Gunstocks - 08/31/10 01:09 AM
eightbore are you saying roostertails may be a cock and bull name?
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Macon Gunstocks - 08/31/10 01:12 AM
I have gotten three L C Smith semi inlet stocks from Gunstocks Inc in the last 4 years and they turned out good. Bobby
Posted By: eightbore Re: Macon Gunstocks - 08/31/10 01:45 AM
OK, there you go. I guess everyone is telling the truth. Does Macon do any fitting?
Posted By: JOSHUA LANE Re: Macon Gunstocks - 09/01/10 12:28 AM
Not to pile on, but I've used Gunstocks.com for 4 stocks over the last few years. One Beretta S2 Sidelock and 3 boxlocks. Very reasonable pricing and the jobs were good for what I paid. I'd recommend them, fwiw.
Posted By: roostertails Re: Macon Gunstocks - 09/03/10 07:00 PM
Well Clampdaddy the last time I checked this was still a free country and I can post, browse, reply, register, etc. etc. as often or the least amount that I want and I do not need your feeble permission to do so.
I have browsed the pages of the doublegunshop.com for many years but when I saw your post condemning a company for what seems to be you incompetence I just had to register and set things straight.
Any NID I have restocked has never had wood on the front of the stock that protrudes into the receiver, the Flues and the earlier models all had the wood that fit into the inside of the receiver but I have never seen any NID with that and I have worked on hundreds of them. I will post a picture of a factory NID buttstock later so you can see what one looks like from Ithaca.
I will also post a picture of a factory forend compared to a forend from Gunstocks Inc. to show there is no difference in length and is exactly correct for the gun which the forend was made for.
I think some of you are getting some of the gunstock companies mixed up with each other, Gunstocks Inc., Gunstocks.com, and macon are all different companies. It seems a lot of the gunstock companies have added Gunstocks Inc. to their names in order to try and feed off the actual Gunstocks Inc. companies name and there success.
I will post pictures latter.

Hereis a picture of the front of a factoey original NID buttstock from a gun we are going to restock with wood from Gunstocks Inc. As you can see there is no wood protruding from the front of the stock that would fit inside the receiver, if there was wood inside the recever the hammers would not cock and the cocking indicators would not function.
Also here is a pic of the original forend compaired to the Gunstocks Inc. forend, as you can see the forends are the same length.

Posted By: clampdaddy Re: Macon Gunstocks - 09/04/10 04:38 PM
Originally Posted By: roostertails

....Any NID I have restocked has never had wood on the front of the stock that protrudes into the receiver, the Flues and the earlier models all had the wood that fit into the inside of the receiver but I have never seen any NID with that and I have worked on hundreds of them......
......I will also post a picture of a factory forend compared to a forend from Gunstocks Inc. to show there is no difference in length and is exactly correct for the gun which the forend was made for......

Well it seems that our experiences have been different and that really proves the point that a piece of wood that might work for your gun might not nesiscarily work for mine. Here's a pic of my 1930 star model NID that still wears the original stock and the wood fits into the receiver on it.

And in this pic you'll see that the original forearm lengths are different between my 1927 and 1930 NIDs

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Posted By: calebg Re: Macon Gunstocks - 09/04/10 05:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Patriot USA
Here's a stock I put on a 311A from gunstocksinc. $50

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/displayimage.php?pid=6662&fullsize=1

Whoa, you paid $50 for that stock?!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com