doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Sven Empire Grade Charles Daly - 1967 spec sheet - 02/03/10 01:41 AM

FYI, I thought I'd share a scan of a page from an original spec sheet for the late 60s Daly Empire Grade side-by-sides. This is the gun produced for Daly by Beretta and is most similar to the GR-3s.

The brochure also shows a similar page for the OU grades including: Field, Superior, Superior Trap & Skeet, Hunter, Diamond Field-Skeet-Trap New Improved Model, and Diamond Regent Grade. If anyone wants to see those I can post as well.

The gun was my first, purchased new in September 1970 when I was 16. I recently ran across all the original documentation including sales receipt, manual, and 1967 brochure. Also still have the box and all the packing materials including a crumpled newspaper page from Il Sole (Milano) dated 16 Maggio (May) 1962.
Interesting. Where it says barrels; chrome moly; does that mean chrome lined or chrome/moly steel composition?

I have a 16 guage 28" and have never seen another.

Externally, they look just like a GR3, but the GR has a selective trigger and ejectors; everything else the same. Yet, guys will advertise them as the same as a GR3.

Had a 20 ga and sold it; sure had second thoughts.

THANKS FOR THE POST.
I have a 12 ga GR3 and it's one of my favorite bird guns.
Posted By: Sven Re: Empire Grade Charles Daly - 1967 spec sheet - 02/03/10 05:43 AM
In addition to the Daly Empire twenty, I have a 12 gauge GR-2 and it is my go to pheasant gun. I really like the double triggers, with the front being articulated. However the GR-2 has very plain wood compared to the Daly.
Since they were made by Beretta, I'm pretty sure the bores were chromed.
I have a 26" 20-ga. which has been restocked with very nice walnut sans checkering.

I bought it on a whim from a young lady at the trap range one evening. She was having trouble hitting trap targets with it (her ex-boy friend had given it to her - he probably couldn't hit trap targets with it either) and I convinced her to get a real trap gun. It was my first doublegun and started a multi-year obsession costing me untold (really UNtold) amounts of the kids' inheritance.

Somehow this gun seems to get more than its share of time in the woods each fall.
Larry, I think you are probably correct; Beretta has been making guns with chrome lining since the fifties. I think it was an option in the fifties though.
But I wonder if they did on contract guns.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com