doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: jerry66stl Non-Toxic Damascus Load ? - 12/28/09 11:07 PM

I've been using a low-pressure 12 gauge handload in my Damascus barreled SxS's. With 1 oz. of shot, 22.5 gr. of #7625 produces about 1,100 fps at less than 6,000 psi. It works fine on clay birds, quail, and is marginal on pheasants (only close shots over a point).

One place we hunt requires non-toxic shot for upland birds. So, I need non-toxic low-pressure shotshells.

I'd like to handload BPI's ITX or other suitable tungsten alloy shot; but I could use steel with a very protective wad. I haven't found a published handload in this category.

Any suggested loads? Is there a suitable factory shotshell available? THANKS.

gold40
Posted By: Greg Tag Re: Non-Toxic Damascus Load ? - 12/28/09 11:12 PM
Unless you have damascus barrels which are disposable, I would avoid any tungsten shot.

Bismuth, to my mind, is still the pellet of choice.

Good luck

Regards

GKT
Posted By: Gerald A. Mele Re: Non-Toxic Damascus Load ? - 12/28/09 11:35 PM
ITX is about as soft as Bismuth so says BPI

I have light loads in my 10 ga, LC damascus, haven't hunted with them. BPI has some "vingater" low pressure loads in thier ITX brochure

Jerry
Posted By: thomas carrier Re: Non-Toxic Damascus Load ? - 12/28/09 11:44 PM
rst lists a nice shot load with low pressure
Posted By: jerry66stl Re: Non-Toxic Damascus Load ? - 12/29/09 01:02 AM
The lowest pressure load for ITX on BPI's load sheet is 7,400 psi. I was hoping for a load with pressure under 6k.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Non-Toxic Damascus Load ? - 12/29/09 02:16 AM
Originally Posted By: thomas carrier
rst lists a nice shot load with low pressure

...at $75 per box; gottabe a better solution...Geo
Posted By: PeteM Re: Non-Toxic Damascus Load ? - 12/29/09 12:58 PM
You can purchase nice shot directly and load your own.
http://www.niceshotinc.com/

Pete
Posted By: JayCee Re: Non-Toxic Damascus Load ? - 12/29/09 01:18 PM
Wow, USD60.- per kilo of shot!!! A buck 70 per oz!!!

Lucky no tree huggers down here are bringing the non toxic issue up yet!!!
Not that there are tons of lead being shot at ducks anyway.

JC
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Non-Toxic Damascus Load ? - 12/29/09 03:08 PM
Even at $1.70/ ounce, it's still substantially cheaper to load your own than buy the RST 10 gauge 2-7/8 ounce shells.
Posted By: King Brown Re: Non-Toxic Damascus Load ? - 12/29/09 03:57 PM
How many shots do you guys fire with a five-bird black duck limit, as here?

I know this comes up frequently but mewling about the cost of shot for what we get---birds or no birds---seems silly to me.

Yesterday everything was cocked up, good blind but birds could see in because of wind change, ice had cleared out with 11 degree rise overnight, only two shots.

With the dog and good company in the rain, who cared about the cost of shot? It was another good go at duck hunting.
Posted By: NiklasP Re: Non-Toxic Damascus Load ? - 12/29/09 04:43 PM
A few years ago I bought several boxes of 12X76 and 12X80 1 5/8 oz #5 bismuth loads and am using bismuth shot from them in 1,0 oz 12 and 12 gauge loads. Bought them off season at much reduced price.

At least in 1,0 oz, 1 1/16, and 1 1/8 oz loads bismuth has been a good killer on big mallards, even on the occasional canada goose, out to stepped off distances of 45 yards. I load to about 1250 fps and also use some European 1300 fps 28 gram factory loads. IF I ever get out pheasant hunting this season, I will be using one of these bismuth loads.

Niklas
Posted By: Fishnfowler Re: Non-Toxic Damascus Load ? - 01/02/10 04:17 AM
Precision reloading has load data for nice shot. Currently nice shot directly from ecotungsten has free shipping.

I am shooting 7/8oz of nice shot at 1300fps and 7000psi in my 12 gauge elsie. It patterns great and has proven to be deadly on waterfowl. I find nice shot to pattern better than lead and feel I can get away with a lighter load. The ducks don't seem to notice.

Rob.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com