doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: kray A5 stock finish question - 12/16/09 08:11 PM
I picked up a '63 A5 that needs some attention. Someone put a poorly matched replacement forend on it at one time. The forend is a bit loose around the base of the barrel, is cracked, and is darker than then stock. The stock finish is not too bad (it has a few nicks from being hunted with, and the crackled finish that you see on this age gun).

I thought that a refinish on both pieces of wood was the best chance to get them looking more alike than different. While I'm at it, I thought I should repair the crack, and perhaps "steam" the forend to get it reshaped around the area where the barrel meets the receiver.

I would like to hear any thoughts about the appropriate finish to use on this vintage of A5. The forend looks to be polyurethane (just too shiny for my taste), and the stock appears to be some kind of vanish or shellac. Does anyone know what Browning used to finish their wood in the early 60s? Alternatively, any personal favorite for a gun of this age, or any other suggestions for that matter?
Posted By: bbman3 Re: A5 stock finish question - 12/17/09 03:35 AM
Spray Lacquer
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com