doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: JayCee Manufrance Robust - 11/02/09 08:10 PM
Thought I'd share some pictures of a friend's rather nice Robust BLE I am refinishing the stock of:

As you can see, the right barrel is rifled (Raye).
It also has assisted opening and retractable sling.

JC
Posted By: reb87 Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/03/09 03:11 AM
Very nice
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/03/09 03:14 AM
That's the nicest one I've ever seen. Some have been pretty crude.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/03/09 03:16 AM
Agree, that is an extemely nice Robust, all the "bells and whistles" on this one, even ejectors. Very cool.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/03/09 02:03 PM
This is why I thought it would be interesting to show it.

The few Robusts I had seen up to now were very, very plain.

JC
Posted By: Mike Armstrong Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/03/09 02:36 PM
Nice "bold" engraving, too!
Posted By: postoak Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/03/09 03:17 PM
Very nice high grade gun, the Robust's are underappreciated quality guns in this Country.
Posted By: postoak Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/03/09 03:18 PM
Very nice high grade gun, the Robust's are underappreciated quality guns in this Country.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/06/09 03:00 PM
That one has the typical "stepped" barrels, where they meet the monoblock, that you see on many Robusts. I've owned several, a couple with a fair amount of engraving, but that's certainly at the upper end.

For those that don't know, the rifled barrel is not for slugs. It's a "dispersion" barrel popular with European woodcock hunters.

About the only knock on Robusts is that, compared to some other French and Euro doubles, they are a bit on the heavy side. Not real fenceposts by any stretch, but just a little . . . well, robust.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/06/09 04:44 PM
Hello Larry,

This one, with 27.5" barrels weighs in at 7lbs 1.2oz which is not unduly "robust"
for a 12 bore I would think. It does allow for 1 1/8 ounce loads to be shot
comfortably.

JC
Posted By: ejsxs Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/06/09 08:26 PM
Larry,

Accepting that the right rifled barrel was designed for pellet dispersion; in your opinion, what would keep this Robust from not firing slugs?
Posted By: JayCee Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/12/09 12:26 PM
EJ and Larry, in this case the rifling is not the shallow type used for dispersion but
very defined and with the grooves having straight sides. I would say it is there for
slugs.

JC
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/12/09 12:40 PM
I'm sure you could fire slugs even through the "dispersion" barrels, although that's not the purpose for which they were designed.

JayCee, you could be right. I'd have to see one with a "dispersion" barrel side by side to compare. I owned a Fabarm with one of those, but I don't remember the rifling well enough to make a firm conclusion.
Posted By: Geno Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/12/09 01:28 PM
I never saw such rifling for spreading pellets. Guess its for slugs, light ones.
Nice Robust, JC.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/12/09 01:56 PM
JayCee,

Nice gun. Have you been able to date this one?

Pete
Posted By: TOM REGAL Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/12/09 05:34 PM
A basic thought reference your Robust. Most German and Belguim gun that are not designed for slugs will so indicate on the barrels. Does your gun have " nicht fur kugel" anywhere on the barrels? If it does it clears means not for slugs. I would also want to see how the "dispersion" barrel is choked. If it is really tight ....aproximating full choke....I would not shoot slugs through that barrel.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/12/09 06:36 PM
Hello Tom,

As you point out when not for slugs, French guns, such as this one, will be marked
"Non Pour la Balle". This one is marked "Raye" or rifled.

Also to bear in mind, normally guns with dispersion rifling are used for becasse and
are very light guns such as the Baby Bretons, for a lot of walking and very little
shooting. Not in this case. JMTC.

JC
Posted By: rabbit Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/12/09 10:19 PM
The French expression "canon raye" [rifled barrel] IS associated with shot dispersion rather than slug stabilization.

jack
Posted By: JayCee Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/12/09 10:46 PM
Hello Lapin,

Generally I would think the same, but the rifling on this one is rather deep and the
groves have sharp edges.

I used to have a VS two barrel set and one of the barrels was a lot shorter, the right
had very shallow rifling (no edges to it whatsoever) and the left was bored cylinder.
I am basing my assumption on that knowledge, so it may be biased.

JC
Posted By: Geno Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/12/09 11:10 PM
Your right JC, deep groves with sharp edges are not for bird shot. After first round all grooves will be full of lead. Bird shot rifling is shallow and usually pretty frequent.
Raye is the only mark I know to indicate rifling on French guns.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/13/09 12:16 AM
JayCee,
Did you measure it for choke?
Best,
Ted
Posted By: JayCee Re: Manufrance Robust - 11/13/09 01:54 AM
Hello Ted,

Haven't got any useable instrument, but as a reference, a loaded 20 bore shell fits in
the rifled barrel's muzzle with almost a 1mm to spare on one side, whereas it is not
even close to fitting into the left barrel that is marked full choke. Hope this gives
you an idea.

Bottom line, I would think no choke whatsoever on the "Raye" side.

JC

P.S.:

Posted By: beleg2 Re: Manufrance Robust - 12/23/09 12:17 PM
Hi,
Just a little late but I think this will be intereting.
"Raye" barrel was for ball,at least they have a ball (breneke like) for raye barrel:

Martin
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Manufrance Robust - 12/23/09 01:49 PM
I have a 1999 Verney-Carron catalog, in which they describe their "Grand Becassier" model (probably best translated as "Woodcock Special" in English). Here's how they describe the bottom barrel (it's an OU):

"Tube inferieur raye dispersant". In this case, the "dispersant" makes the purpose of the barrel very clear--even if it weren't on a "Woodcock Special".
Posted By: beleg2 Re: Manufrance Robust - 12/23/09 04:35 PM
I have the impression that rifling was for both purposes.
Short range shot and /or balls.
JMHO
Martin
Posted By: JayCee Re: Manufrance Robust - 12/23/09 10:35 PM
Hi Beleg,

Good of you to bring the thread back, as I have just borrowed the book "LE FUSIL ROBUST" by Jean-Claude MOURNETAS, that has interesting information.

-PeteM, the gun in question was made either in 1930 or 1931 which were the years the 36 model was made. The E is for ejectors and the S is for "Supra" rifled barrel.

As of 1923 Manufrance added the "S" to all its model numbers for guns with rifled barrels, i.e. Robusts, Idéals and even the single barreled Simplex.

-Larry, Geno and Beleg, the Supra barrels were in fact -as Beleg points out- dual purpose: for dispersion AND slugs. As soon as I have a little time I'll post some pictures that clarify this.

All for now.

Warmest Season's Greetings!

JC
Posted By: beleg2 Re: Manufrance Robust - 12/24/09 03:11 AM
Hi JC!!!
I sent you a PM.
Martin
Posted By: JayCee Re: Manufrance Robust - 12/24/09 03:17 AM
Beleg, no PM has arrived. I have a dedicated email on my profile just in case.

Best,

JC
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Manufrance Robust - 12/24/09 03:06 PM
Robusts were typically . . . well, relatively "robust", in terms of weight--although certainly decent handling guns. I expect a slug through one would work fine. It probably would through something like the V-C "Woodcock Special" rifled barrel too, but in the case of a gun that's built very light, specifically for woodcock hunting, I'd think the recoil might be a bit excessive.
Posted By: Geno Re: Manufrance Robust - 12/24/09 04:38 PM
Not all French woodcock guns with "raye" have a Supra type of rifling.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com