doublegunshop.com - home
any help on the value of this would be appreciated. its a 12ga side by side with sidelock and dual hammers. 26 inch barrel stamped purdeys patent bolt and has castles stamped into it. i dont think its demascus but it might be.it has a cracked handle and some dings in the stock
thanks.

not the most detailed but its all i got. you can see the crack in the 5th picture.

Posted By: lagopus Re: w & c scott and son double barrel - 10/28/09 08:43 PM
Difficult to give a value but I might be able to tell you more about it. If you can supply serial number I can date it. A full description as to engraving or, better still, a good photo and I might be able to ascertain which model. I would suspect that as a 12 bore of that vintage with 26" barrels that they may have been shortened as most would have had 30" tubes. The crack in the stock, which I presume is in what is known as the 'hand' i.e. where you would grip it, could be a problem. It may be repairable or may need re-stocking. Either would be costly but a new stock, unless it's in exceptional condition, would effectively make it a write off. The castles are the W & C Scott Trade mark and correct for the gun. The Purdey's patent reference is to the type of closure used to lock the gun together and dates from 1863. Making reference to this patent would tend to indicate an early example. Scott's started with serial number 1 in 1865. If your gun has a very low serial number it would make it quite intersting. The details of the proof marks on the barrels would also tell us more. Waiting to be of further assistance; Lagopus.....
Posted By: Rocketman Re: w & c scott and son double barrel - 10/29/09 01:40 AM
Per lagopus, we need more details.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: w & c scott and son double barrel - 10/29/09 01:47 AM
I bought a gun matching your general description four years ago for $300.00 from a well known dealer. It has a Purdeys thumb lever trigger guard opening system. The barrels are 30" not 26". I bought it as a project gun, which has never been completed. Yours should have a wedge fastener on the fore end and date to the early to mid 1870's.

On mine the stock is sound, no case color, barrels are just about brown finish free. Both hammers are fine and the locks work well. It was not real tight and on face, with barrels that ring like a bell when struck. By serial number it dates to 1870-1875. Beware this maker has two or more serial numbering systems using serial number twice in many cases.
Posted By: gmtech Re: w & c scott and son double barrel - 10/29/09 11:28 AM
i cant get pictures right now but i can try later tonight. the serial number is 5868 if that helps. its marked w&c scott and son maker and patentees on the barrel. also has a "15" stamped on each barrel with some sort of small crest symbol.
Posted By: lagopus Re: w & c scott and son double barrel - 10/30/09 02:14 PM
That serial number should put it to 1874. The 15 will be the bore diameter at 9" from the breech face. I have seen 12 bore chambered guns bored this tight before but it is not common. Lagopus.....
Posted By: gmtech Re: w & c scott and son double barrel - 10/30/09 04:14 PM
1874? would that mean it has to be a demascus. it doesn't look like it.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: w & c scott and son double barrel - 10/31/09 12:13 AM
No, but that would be some very early steel barrels. Look carefully for blued/blaced over damascus; take it out in sunlight or other very bright light and look for the damascus pattern under the color.
Vintage 1874 is possibly Laminated Steel. It was near the highest quality barrel product of the time.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: w & c scott and son double barrel - 10/31/09 10:26 AM
Don't worry too much about the pics Ky wanted. He's been promising us pics of his prOjects for years.
Posted By: battle Re: w & c scott and son double barrel - 10/31/09 01:10 PM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Don't worry too much about the pics Ky wanted. He's been promising us pics of his prOjects for years.

I hear ya there jOe!
Theres several on here that like to talk/brag/boast about what they have, but we seem to never see any of them. I guess thats fine, let'm be closet queens!
Posted By: gmtech Re: w & c scott and son double barrel - 11/09/09 03:49 PM
can i shoot modern ammo out of a laminated steel barrel then?
Posted By: PeteM Re: w & c scott and son double barrel - 11/09/09 03:56 PM
Originally Posted By: gmtech

Short answer - NO.

You can shoot ammunition appropriate to the original design and age of the gun, IF the gun is in good shape and has been inspected by a competent gunsmith. RST carries such ammunition.

Pete
Posted By: Rocketman Re: w & c scott and son double barrel - 11/09/09 04:39 PM
Originally Posted By: PeteM

Short answer - NO.

You can shoot ammunition appropriate to the original design and age of the gun, IF the gun is in good shape and has been inspected by a competent gunsmith. RST carries such ammunition.

Pete

Pete gave a very good answer - read and heed. I would add, that 2 3/4" chambers and modern proof DO NOT change the original design and materials. Keep pressure low for the good of the metal parts and recoil low for the good of the wood and shooter. Modern proof is for CIP standardized loads, not SAAMI; there is no proof system for SAAMI.
Posted By: gmtech Re: w & c scott and son double barrel - 11/09/09 04:58 PM
ok thanks, i know i said i would post pictures but things have been crazy. i will try this week to get some up
Posted By: lagopus Re: w & c scott and son double barrel - 11/09/09 05:31 PM
Looking forwards to them gmtech. A gun of that vitage will only have been proofed for black powder, so, unless later tests were done and nitro marks added then consider it unsafe for modern ammunition. Have it appraised by someone who understande old English guns and go by their advice. I have submitted many guns of this sort of age for nitro proof and they have passed but I have always known what to look for and how to measure bore diameter an wall thickness so have an idea if they are worth the risk or not. Condition is vital. Lagopus.....
added pictures to first post
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: w & c scott and son double barrel - 11/15/09 11:08 PM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
I bought a gun matching your general description four years ago for $300.00 from a well known dealer.

After seeing the pics $300.00 might be too much for this one.
anyone else have any input on this thing after seeing the pictures.
You could get a Cracker Barrel appraisal....
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
You could get a Cracker Barrel appraisal....

??? you lost me
An apraisal as a wallhanger....Cracker Barrel restuarant wall art.
ah, ok. ive never been to a cracker barrel
The 26 inch barrels have probably been cut, a pic of the barrel ends would probably tell. Cut barrels and the broken stock really hurts the value of an originally very nice gun. Id put its value somewhere between 200 and 400 dollars
Originally Posted By: reb87
The 26 inch barrels have probably been cut, a pic of the barrel ends would probably tell. Cut barrels and the broken stock really hurts the value of an originally very nice gun. Id put its value somewhere between 200 and 400 dollars

im starting to wonder if its cut also, it has a front sight bead at the end of the barrel. i guess ill try and take a decent picture of it.
looking down the barrels on the muzzle end, the barrels should be touching.
they are touching, there is no space in between the barrels
they are touching, there is no space in between the barrels

That age gun and that barrell length, they're probably cut anyway...depending on how the barrels are laid out they may converge farther or nearer the original barrell ends. JMHO...Geo
Probably
Scott made guns that early with original 26" barrels in a light weight model.....might be cut, might not.
It would be silly to argue that Scott never offered a 26" barrel in a hammer gun...but fact is most all the old blackpowder hammer guns are going to have 30" or longer barrels.

Scott did later favor 27 & 1/2" barrels on allot of their 12ga. box locks built for smokeless powders.
Originally Posted By: SKB
Scott made guns that early with original 26" barrels in a light weight model.....might be cut, might not.

are you sure they made 26 inch barrels? because it really doesn't look cut. unless someone did a really good job and reinstalled the front sight post.

this picture really sucks but i hope it helps

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Looks pretty close but not clear enough to tell. When you take close ups, use the macro setting. It looks like a flower on your digital camera. The macro setting will allow close focus.
It's cut.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com