doublegunshop.com - home
I went to a local auction last week and came home with a couple of treasures, the Clabrough and a E Stiegele 4mm Zimmerschutzen.
I'm hoping I can date the Clabrough, it's in nice condition, assisted opening and autoejectors, barrels stamped Fine Damascus. I don't have much information on this maker.
Thanks, Jerry
Posted By: 775 Re: J.P. Clabrough & Bros. dating manufacture - 10/11/09 04:47 PM
I have one in the 17,000 range...was thought to be from early 1880's/late 70's.
I have a hammer sidelock with sn# in the 19k range--congratulations on your find.
Jerry, The choke stampings put the date of proofing post 1887.
I think that they only used that style of address and name from 1893 to 1895 so that should narrow it down a lot. Lagopus.....
The book, J.P.Clabough & Bros; by Lawrence P. Shelton, provides a great deal of background information on the Clabrough business,including copies of catalogues.From this book we learn that Clabrough used the words, "London Fine Damascus,"on guns as far back as serial #3229. This particular gun was made between 1875-1887 because the proof marks include the legened" Not for ball," Other guns illustrated #34385 & 34303 are said to have been made circa 1890. Based on the 1892-3 catalogue reproduced in the book, your gun is their #2 model, which sold fo $100. By comparison their #4 gun sold for $250. In the same catalogue a W.& C.Scott "Premiere" is listed at $265.
It is understood that Mr Shelton is soon to release a second updated edition of his Clabrough book.
Posted By: PeteM Re: J.P. Clabrough & Bros. dating manufacture - 10/12/09 12:39 PM
Roy is correct. I spoke with Larry Shelton earlier this year. He has continued his research and is going to provide a great deal of depth about Clabrough and his life.
He can be contacted at:
lsheltonsxs@sbcglobal.net

Pete
Posted By: justin Re: J.P. Clabrough & Bros. dating manufacture - 10/12/09 01:25 PM
Joseph Vorisek's research puts the date at 1891. His chart is a bit confusing but there are pictures reprinted from catalogues and a good history of the guns and the company.
Roy, Pete that's another book I need for my library. I didn't know that it exsisted. Would you know if Lawrence Shelton would mind me e-mailing him in order to request a copy of the book when available? Is the Author in America as I would need him to be willing to ship a copy to the U.K.? I see Clabough guns here from time to time but I think that the greater part of his stuff went abroad. Most that I have seen have been hammer guns made as wildfowl guns. Lagopus.....
Posted By: PeteM Re: J.P. Clabrough & Bros. dating manufacture - 10/12/09 08:21 PM
Originally Posted By: lagopus
Roy, Pete that's another book I need for my library. I didn't know that it exsisted. Would you know if Lawrence Shelton would mind me e-mailing him in order to request a copy of the book when available? Is the Author in America as I would need him to be willing to ship a copy to the U.K.? I see Clabough guns here from time to time but I think that the greater part of his stuff went abroad. Most that I have seen have been hammer guns made as wildfowl guns. Lagopus.....

Drop him an email. I am sure he will get a copy to you. He is located in California, if memory serves.

Pete

I've gone over this shotgun back to front, mechanis are perfert, a tribute to the craftsmen of a bygone era. The Damascus barrels and ribs are beautiful, two ivory beads, it also features a Greener crossbolt through the rib extension. Envraving is around 80-90%. Thanks to all. Regards, Jerry
Posted By: Pete Re: J.P. Clabrough & Bros. dating manufacture - 10/27/16 10:49 PM
He is always at the Reno show and the next one is on the third Weekend 2016 at the Grand Sierra hotel
I know Larry well. Super nice guy and a great book. And he is in CA. Send him an email.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com