doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gil russell Lefever History/Extractor Question - 09/11/09 02:47 PM
Here is a photo of a Lefever G on the left and A Lefever F on the right. Note the difference in the extractor stop setup. The F uses the small screw at the back end of the track. I'm not sure what stops the extractor on the G; it is slightly peened and at this point doesn't come out. I am wondering if the system without the screw is an earlier version?At some point I will need to take the extractor out of the G and I would appreciate any help in this regard. Thank you!

Posted By: Jack K Re: Lefever Extractor Question - 09/11/09 03:09 PM
Gil,
My G grade and 2 early E grades are like your G grade (no screw to stop the extractor) except they are not peened over. When the barrels are taken off the reciever the extractor can be pulled free.

Jack K
Posted By: Dr. P Re: Lefever History/Extractor Question - 09/11/09 06:39 PM
Gil,

I also have an F extractor gun that has no retaining screw: the extractor falls out if the barrels are not mounted on the action. Buck Hamlin recently re-browned these barrels and told me that that was the way the extractors were built during this period. I suspect your peened track has been modified.
Posted By: gil russell Re: Lefever History/Extractor Question - 09/11/09 07:20 PM
I may have overstated the peening. It is more of a burr on either side of the track apparently from interfacing with the receiver, not something intentionally done. It's just enough to keep the extractor from coming out and until I need to take the extractor out, I think I'll just leave it alone. Thanks for the replies.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com