doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: murphy Stevens .410 o/u - 07/20/09 02:31 AM
A guy is thinking about selling me a Stevens .410 o/u , it has a stock that is either plastic or may even pre-date plastic. If the gun is in good shape, approximately what would this gun be worth.
Posted By: Norm Re: Stevens .410 o/u - 07/20/09 03:26 AM
If it's a 240, the hammers are very small to manipulate with larger hands. My uncle has one, and it's kind of neat - except for the small hammers. The tenite stocks also tend to get a unique smell to them. Check the auction sites for a model 240 for current prices.
Posted By: 1straightshot Re: Stevens .410 o/u - 07/20/09 05:30 AM
Nice gun to shoot. It is tightly choked. The hammers are easy to cock if you use your thumb sideways to pull them both back at once. I have shot one for years. One was just sold at my club in very nice condition 90 - 95% with tenite stock for $350.00. They also where made with a wood stock(brings premium). I considered it a very good price. At the shows a $500-$550 price tag would not be unusual.
Posted By: murphy Re: Stevens .410 o/u - 07/22/09 02:05 AM
I think all responders are thinking of a different shotgun, this one is over/under and has no hammers? The stock is tenite, I had forgotten what it was called.I looked up a picture of 240 and see that it does have hammers, I haven't seen the gun he is offering for some time and must have forgotten that it had hammers, I need to look at it again. Thanks
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Stevens .410 o/u - 07/22/09 02:34 AM
My uncle rabbit hunted with one of these for years, they're a neat little gun.

DLH
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Stevens .410 o/u - 07/22/09 10:21 AM
I was offered one about two years ago for $300. I was considering buying it and having it nicely stocked in wood but decided I didn't need another project gun. Kind of a decent .410 that felt pretty good too.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Stevens .410 o/u - 07/22/09 01:18 PM
If it's a Stevens .410 over under, it has hammers.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Stevens .410 o/u - 07/22/09 01:36 PM
As I recall, the hammers are tight together and are cocked as if they are one.
They can be cocked individually but have smallish spurs close together and, as mentioned previously, with large hands or thumb are rather awkward to cock individually.
Posted By: craxon Re: Stevens .410 o/u - 07/22/09 02:33 PM
I think there is some confusion going on here.

The model 240 is a Savage not Stevens and has exposed split hammers.

There is model 242 that has a single hammer.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Stevens .410 o/u - 07/22/09 08:27 PM
Craxon, if your reference was to my post, I have edited it. I should have been more explicit the first time.
Posted By: craxon Re: Stevens .410 o/u - 07/22/09 09:01 PM
Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS
Craxon, if your reference was to my post, I have edited it. I should have been more explicit the first time.

No not at all.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Stevens .410 o/u - 07/23/09 01:58 AM
Originally Posted By: murphy
A guy is thinking about selling me a Stevens .410 o/u , it has a stock that is either plastic or may even pre-date plastic. If the gun is in good shape, approximately what would this gun be worth.

Here is something about it from 2nd ed of Shotgun Digest:
"Possibly the sleeper of the decade, this little .410-bore over/under is a visible hammer takedown featuring twenty-six-inch full-choke barrels. The gun was manufactured from 1939 to 1942, weighing only six pounds. Although a few early guns feature walnut woodwork, the majority came with Tenite - a plastic stock and forend.....the mere fact that used models can be found for about $40 (ca. 1980) means it is selling for one-tenth the price of its nearest competitor..." Current value for one in very good condition seems to be in $350 to $400 range so it's no longer sleeper of this decade.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Stevens .410 o/u - 07/23/09 01:14 PM
I have owned and shot the 240. I never could cock both hammers at one time unless I used two thumbs, one on top of the other. With a little practice, cocking one hammer at a time worked well. By the way, knowing the price of having the chokes professionally relieved, I rooting through my machinist's cabinet until I found a drill that did a very clean job of making an improved cylinder choke, from the muzzle. By the way, the poster who described the 240 as "not a Stevens" is not correct.
Posted By: murphy Re: Stevens .410 o/u - 07/24/09 01:22 AM
thanks to all, I think i confused some in that I did not remember the hammers, apparently it does have hammmers, if I can get it for $200. I think I will.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Stevens .410 o/u - 07/24/09 01:14 PM
Look for cracks in the Tenite next to the action. I have not had success in fixing these cracks when the cheeks of the stock are separated. If the gun has some case color and is generally in clean well preserved condition, it is well worth $200.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com