doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: scottj 201 Classic Doubles Opinions? - 05/22/09 09:07 PM
Any one here shooting these? Looks like a cross between a Parker and a Winchester 23. It definitely has a Parker lock up and the back of the frame looks like a Parker.
Thanks, Scott
Posted By: Don Moody Re: 201 Classic Doubles Opinions? - 05/22/09 10:15 PM
It is a Parker Repro with out the dolls head and the frame is milled to a different shape. Nothing in common with the Model 23 except the plant where they were made.
Posted By: scottj Re: 201 Classic Doubles Opinions? - 05/23/09 02:48 AM
I disagree with that, the forend latch is definitely Win 23 and the cocking is done through the front of the action not with a cocking hook like a Parker. The trigger is Model 23 also it is selected by the safety not next to the trigger like a Parker. The floor plate is attached like a Parker but it is a different shape. The screws look like they are in the same place as a Parker.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: 201 Classic Doubles Opinions? - 05/23/09 10:22 AM
i had 12ga with choke tubes for a while (winchoke/browning std invector type). the frame and rear lug with replaceable plate is like that on parker bros. gun and front lump has spring thingy thing like winchester model 21. the 23 is a&d system gun while the 201 is not. nice quality reliable gun but just could not warm up to it like i did to my sterlingworth ejector.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: 201 Classic Doubles Opinions? - 05/23/09 09:49 PM
Looks a lot like a Model 21 from the outside. They're on the heavy side but get pretty good marks for reliability. The gun was Classic Doubles' replacement for the Model 23.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: 201 Classic Doubles Opinions? - 05/23/09 10:33 PM
it was nearly 8lb in weight and 3" high speed steel felt like shootin' .375h&h with 300 grainers. lets just say it is no game gun but i certainly would not want 3" gun to weigh less.
Posted By: Snipe Hunter Re: 201 Classic Doubles Opinions? - 05/25/09 11:23 PM
I have owned a 20 gauge 201 for nineteen years. I always thought they were trying to make them look like a 21. Mine is heavy but it has been a reliable gun with the limited use it has seen. I don't know what they really sell for but I see most of them listed for about twice what they cost new and sometimes more. Things change over time and today I wouldn't want a double gun with a beavertail, ventilated rib, or single trigger. The 201 has all three.

Skip

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com