doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SShooterZ Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/19/06 02:37 AM
Hello all -

I was wondering if anyone had any experience, opinion or information regarding the current Hatfield O/U shotguns made in Turkey.

Good, bad, so-so.

They seem to make a nice little 28 gauge that I was looking at but some input first.

Thanks!
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/19/06 03:40 AM
I have an opinion but someone will say I have to buy one before I can have one, so I won't say what it is. However, I wouldn't buy one. JL
Posted By: SShooterZ Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/19/06 04:13 AM
Please, share your thoughts. I'm open to them.
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/19/06 06:24 AM
Uh, I think he just did!
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/19/06 12:52 PM
ZZ - a lot of us would rather spend the money on a good used American made gun . I to have looked at , and watch guys shoot the cheap imports . They seem to like them , but I can't get myself to buy one - too many nice old doubles to spend my money on . Paul
Posted By: SShooterZ Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/19/06 04:09 PM
The Hatfields I've looked at are far from cheap.

When I think cheap I think of the Huglu/CZ/DeHaan guns.

Some of the Hatfields I've seen are significantly more expensive.
Take a look at this one on GunsAmerica for example

Jerry and Jim - Saying you wouldn't buy one could mean a lot of things. Don't like thier fit, quality, warranty, service, price, etc.

I would never buy a Mossburg 500 or a Baikal but that doesn't mean they're bad guns. They're just not for me.
Posted By: mike campbell Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/19/06 08:01 PM
Yes, but isn't this the gun you were referring to?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976756613.htm

I think I'd take a Ruger first.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/20/06 01:20 AM
They both look cheaply made to me.
L.F.
Posted By: mc Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/20/06 03:55 AM
ruger is a great american gun.
Posted By: TOM REGAL Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/20/06 02:12 PM
re: Turkish built Hatfields. I make this distinction as the original USA built Hatfields were superb shotguns! The Turkish offering isn't!! I ordered a little 28 gauge new from a major dealer. The gun came in with the rib off and the barrels separating. The gun had Hatfield boldly etched on each side of the receiver but inside the gun it was plainly etched Hugulu made in Turkey! I completely agreed that it was a "turkey" and returned the gun for credit. As I reported to Larry Brown when he was doing his article on new age L.C. Smiths....an Elsie it ain't. In this instance a Hatfield it isn't either! Look elsewhere.
tom
Posted By: SShooterZ Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/20/06 02:52 PM
Tom - Thank you very much for the first hand experience. I haven't seen too many good things written about their "new" guns so I am going to stay away.

Now, does anyone have any suggestions for a nice 20 or 28 gauge O/U or SxS in the under $2000 range? Really would prefer a 28 Gauge in something I don't currently have.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/20/06 02:58 PM
Ruger's 28 gauge is a clear favorite. Any of their other gauges are way to heavy, that is the 12 and 20. The 20 gauge I had weighed in at 7 1/2 lbs!!!!! And poorly patterned. Their 28 gauge is suppose to be great little over/under.
All the best
Posted By: chopperlump Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/20/06 04:03 PM
Go with a used SKB 200E or 280E without screw-in chokes and you will have what you are looking for at less than 2 grand. Chopper
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/20/06 05:56 PM
The Ugartechea Grade II would be my recommendation, over Ruger, and SKB, and way over any Huglu. BTW, having Ted Hatfield's name on a gun doesn't inspire any special confidence to me. He has been in and out of the gun business several times. Everything from Muzzle loaders to SxS. JL
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/20/06 06:52 PM
SShooterZ,
Beretta makes reasonably priced 28 ga O/Us that you won't have any questions about. IMO, buy a new economy O/U from a big reputable manufacturer that can support the product, and Hatfield v3.1 via Huglu via Huknows doesn't fit the bill.
Posted By: SolidRib Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/21/06 01:56 AM
My advise...Dont Do It! I dont have time to explain why...many reasons though...better off with a secondhand gun.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/21/06 12:27 PM
Hatfield muzzleloaders!!! :rolleyes: probably the first to come up with the idea to restock junk parts with a beautiful piece of curly maple and sell at a premium. I was suckered in with that stock and kind of regret it now. With Green River and Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders available at the time for the same price and with ALL American components, wish I could have that call back.
I don't believe that the Hatfield was ever "Made in America" weren't they inported from Spain and restocked with curly maple?
Posted By: TOM REGAL Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/21/06 01:49 PM
SSSHOOTERZ,
I AGREE WITH THE BOARD...TWO GREAT CHOICES WOULD BE EITHER A RUGER O/U IN 28 GAUGE OR SCROLL THROUGH GUNBROKER FOR A SKB 28. I HAVE BOTH AND THEY ARE GREAT GUNS. THE RUGER MOUNTS SCREW-IN CHOKES AND YOU CAN FIND SKB'S WITH FIXED CHOKES. JUST THIS WEEK I FOUND A VERY NICE SKB 410 IN IC/MOD. THAT WILL GET LOTS OF ACTION THIS YEAR ON PRESERVE QUAIL. A FINAL THOUGHT: IF YOU HAVE A FAVORITE 12 OR 20 BUY A SET OF GOLD GAUGE MATES AND SHOOT EITHER 28 OR 410 IN YOUR FAVORITE GUN THAT ALREADY RESIDES IN YOUR SAFE.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/21/06 02:13 PM
Hatfield muzzle loaders were allegedly made here, by Ted, in the early days. They were then made by Pedersoli with no indication of that. The last ones I saw actually said Pedersoli on the barrel. JL
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/21/06 03:49 PM
Their (Hatfield) SxS shotguns, weren't they imported from Spain and then restocked with the Trademark reddish curly maple of Ted Hatfield fame????
Posted By: SShooterZ Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/22/06 12:11 PM
Great info guys, much appreciated.

On the SKB. I had a Weatherby O/U that was a great gun but didn't fit me well. Do the SKB SxS have the same stock dimensions and measurements?

My fear is that it might not fit me and I haven't seen enought locally to try and shoulder one.

I have a 20 ga RRL and I like it a lot. The 28 ga is definitely an option.
Posted By: KMcMichael Re: Opinions on Hatfield O/U shotguns? - 09/22/06 12:26 PM
Many people have preferences, Including me. I have a Krieghoff K-80 Gold Super Scroll that I shoot skeet with. One of my skeet partners has a DeHaan that has shot about 20,000 rounds with that costs a lot less than my gun. How many of you will put 20,000 rounds through a gun in a lifetime. Having said that I would also buy and SKB before a Berreta because I simply hate Berreta because of thier handguns, we don't have to be logical about our preferences.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com