doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Mike Bonner William Ford of Birmingham - 02/27/09 10:36 PM
Does anyone know who might have the William Ford records? I'd like to know if anything pops up on BLE serial number 8446
Thanks,
Mike
Posted By: L. Brown Re: William Ford of Birmingham - 02/27/09 10:39 PM
Boothroyd's book says Ford was sold to Bailons in 1991. That's pretty recent, so if Bailons is still up and running and the Ford records weren't destroyed in the war (or otherwise), you might have a good shot.
Posted By: justin Re: William Ford of Birmingham - 02/27/09 11:02 PM
well, according to Nigel Brown's book, the gun was made in 1907,but unfortunately the records for that year and it seems only that year are missing. Lovely thing gunmakers' records.
So did Terry's read of the proofs encourage you to keep the gun?
What's your take on the re-barreling idea?
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: William Ford of Birmingham - 02/27/09 11:35 PM
Thanks guys, Larry, do you mean Gallyons, the Cambridge gunmaker?
Justin, I have a call in to Terry, he's probably out after geese.
He's in the Vancouver area.
I really think the gun was made by Ford, and re-barreled by them later in its life I'd like to prove it. That's why I have this post.I do require a partial refund discount from the seller though. I'll probably keep it as it is such a lovely gun. If I do I'll bring it to the Flatwater.
Mike
Posted By: justin Re: William Ford of Birmingham - 02/28/09 12:10 AM
Mike,
there is some more good stuff in the nigel brown book. When Ford did a repair or rebarreling they would assign the work its own number and would stamp the # on the barrels along with any previous # so if the #on the action flats match the # on the barrels and especially if there is only one # on the barrel, you have the original barrels. I think
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: William Ford of Birmingham - 02/28/09 01:52 AM
Justin, I just got off the phone to Terry and he says that looking at the photos I sent him, there are 2 sets of numbers on the water table, 8446 and 6958. He says that one number is in his Brown book as Ford dates 1902 and the other number Ford dates 1907 There are 2 sets of view marks on the water table,, one from pre 1904 and the other set post 1904. The BV under a crown on the right side slightly overmarks the 6958 serial number, meaning that 6958 is probably earlier than the other number 8446. The barrel flats show post 1904 but pre 1925 proof marks for 12 bore 1 1/2 cartridges.
Our premise is that this gun is likely a Ford and was rebarreled by the maker in 1907. I'm keeping it! Sincere thanks to Terry.
Mike
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: William Ford of Birmingham - 02/28/09 01:53 AM
Bailons Gunmakers Ltd; was during the 1970-80 located at 94-95 Bath Street,Birmingham. All employees were formerly with W.W.Greener.One of the directors was Leonard Onions, a former manager with W.W.Greener. All employees were formerly with W.W. Greener.Leonard had an impressive knowledge of the Birmingham gun trade.Bailons made complete guns and offered a wide range of services to the trade and individual customers.The Business closed down in the 1990,s. According to the grape vine, due to legal issues created by one of the directors. I can confirm that the Ford records exist, because I saw them in 1989 when the Ford business was located at 352 Moseley Road, Birmingham. Suggest you try David Baker he may know of their location.
P.S. Ford Gun #13448 was made in 1923.
Posted By: justin Re: William Ford of Birmingham - 02/28/09 02:31 AM
Mike,so far so good. Is the later # on the barrel flats?
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: William Ford of Birmingham - 02/28/09 02:39 AM
Thanks,Roy, how can I contact David Baker, please?
Mike
Posted By: Salopian Re: William Ford of Birmingham - 02/28/09 06:37 AM
Bailons was owned at the end by Sir Malcolm Guthrie, he probably knows where the records are.Last I heard he was living in Worcestershire.BASC may be able to provide you with an address.I will see what I can do.
Posted By: Salopian Re: William Ford of Birmingham - 02/28/09 06:53 AM
Sir Malcolm Guthrie, Brent Eleigh, Belbroughton, Stourbridge, Worcs DY9 0DW
Tel: 01562 730711 Fax: 01562 730716
I hope this is of use to you.
Salopian
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: William Ford of Birmingham - 03/01/09 01:16 AM
Justin, on the barrel flats, pre 1925 nitro proofs, "choke" on left barrel, 8689 on the forend hook, 14002 on underside of each barrel. 8446 and 6958 on the watertable, patent ejector N481290 on the water table. Is that significant? The ejector springs are housed in a box attached to the underside of the barrel My Coggie BLNE 3" fowler has such an empty box, Terry Lubzinski tells me that he had a Coggie fowler BLE obviously with springs in that box. So whose patent is that numbered on my Ford?
Thanks for the Guthrie contact information, Salopian
Mike
Posted By: justin Re: William Ford of Birmingham - 03/01/09 11:52 PM
Mike, Ford had an ejector patent #8841 of 1887,and a barrel cocking patent of 1888,The N481290 is,maybe,a use # and a damned high one if it is. I haven't found a patent by Ford for a self-opening action. Research into that may provide the answer. We've seen from previous discussion that whitworth labeled the underside of each of their tubes,on either side of the forend loop,but those have been consecutive #s. I wonder if other ironmongers numbered their tubes. When you get a hold of Ford please ask them and let us know. If you want pictures of the patents from Baker and Crudington"s book I'ld be happy to e-mail them to you.
Justin
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: William Ford of Birmingham - 03/02/09 01:39 AM
The self opening is seemingly achieved by a spring operated rod protruding between the cocking levers, Justin.I appreciate you efforts very much.
I'd like the pics, please, mbonner@mts.net, thanks
Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com