doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: LeFusil Thomas Woodward....(many pics added) - 02/13/09 03:24 PM
Looking for any information regarding this maker. I believe he started out as a gunsmith/gunmaker in Birmingham, and later became a manager at Holland & Holland?? Was Thomas related to James? I have just acquired a spiral spring sidelock, underlever action from this maker and would like have more information about his gunmaking business.
Thanks in advance for any help and information.

Dustin
Posted By: SKB Re: Thomas Woodward....what do you know? - 02/13/09 03:59 PM
I have owned several Spiral Spring Woodwards. Cool guns! There is a bit in Boothroyds books ans maybe a mention in Donalad Dallas H&H book. I'm not in front of my books at the moment. How about some pics?
Steve
Posted By: lagopus Re: Thomas Woodward....what do you know? - 02/13/09 03:59 PM
Correct about him becoming manager at H & H. He was at 10, Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham from 1868 - 86 and 7, Bath Street, from 1887 - 1890. No idea of a conection to James. I have seen a few T. Woodward guns and one sidelock non-ejector had had someone try to make the 'T' into a 'J'; possibly hoping for more money for it. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Thomas Woodward....what do you know? - 02/13/09 04:10 PM
Converting the "T" to a "J" would double the value, provided the buyer didn't understand that the designs, or at least the ones I've seen, used by "T" never darkened the door of "J". "T" appears to have done some very fine work. Manager at H&H was no trivial job. Interesting that at H&H, he managed the production of lots of BV1 guns, but on his own, he is BV3. Same for John Robertson at Boss.
Posted By: SKB Re: Thomas Woodward....what do you know? - 02/13/09 04:16 PM
I believe the Holland/Woodward falling block was this chap too. One of the prettier Brit falling blocks to my eye.
Steve
Posted By: Hugh Lomas Re: Thomas Woodward....what do you know? - 02/13/09 04:18 PM
Donald Dallas reports in the H&H The Royal Gunmaker p106. that there were two Thomas Woodwards living in Aston , Birmingham both the same age , both gunmakers. T.W. who went to H&H was probably a supervisor at Scotts and the other worked out of 10 Steelhouse Lane.Those guns that were marked T Woodward that I have seen have been fairly run of the mill stuff, reasonable but not exceptional.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Thomas Woodward....what do you know? - 02/13/09 05:38 PM
Thank you all for the commentary and comments on where to find good information.

Hugh,
Would you consider the spiral spring locks and underlever action, cocking indicators and "rolling safety" run of the mill stuff? I've seen alot of English guns and these features seem quite unique in the realm of English doubles. Your thoughts?

Dustin

Posted By: SKB Re: Thomas Woodward....what do you know? - 02/13/09 06:12 PM
I know that gun and have shot it. It was owned by a fellow vintager at one point. great gun. Enjoy!
Another example
http://www.vintagedoubles.com/inventory....mages/754_1.jpg
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Thomas Woodward....what do you know? - 02/13/09 07:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Terry Lubzinski

Notice that T. Woodward action has a normal sliding safety? I really like the "rolling" safety on the Woodward I just picked up, it works well and is pretty unique.

Dustin
Another example - from our own Classified Ads

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...ge=3#Post128269
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Thomas Woodward....what do you know? - 02/13/09 08:34 PM
Note that this is a James Woodward, not a Thomas Woodward.
Posted By: Hugh Lomas Re: Thomas Woodward....what do you know? - 02/14/09 03:50 PM
Dustin, the example that you displayed certainly proves my generalization wrong!The various features certainly put this outside the Run of the mill category.I'm guessing this gun was made 1880-ish. How is it to shoot?
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Thomas Woodward....what do you know? - 02/14/09 05:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Hugh Lomas
Dustin, the example that you displayed certainly proves my generalization wrong!The various features certainly put this outside the Run of the mill category.I'm guessing this gun was made 1880-ish. How is it to shoot?

Hugh,

It is 1880's ish. I too thought some of the features on the gun were not exactly run of the mill for Brit doubles the era. In my opinion, its a pretty unique and very cool gun. I have not shot it yet, but I can only imagine that it is a pussy cat. It weighs just at 8 1/4 pounds, with light 1 1/4 oz. or 1 1/8 oz. loads I imagine recoil will be almost non-existent.
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Thomas Woodward....what do you know? - 02/16/09 09:40 AM
The T&T Woodward patent of 1876 was known for a time as the 'Acme' and was retailled by a number of makers other than T. Woodward. I have seen them by Adams and others.

They are generally not finished as 'best' guns, rather as third or fourth quality guns and they generally do not make very high prices in the UK. You occasionally see a better quality example but I think it was conceived as a lower-priced gun as it is quite easy to manfacture and assemble the parts.

A decent example for £200 plus commission at Holts a couple of years ago comes to mind. I sold one by T. Woodward built on his modified coil-spring patent of 1884 for £400 last year. This may well have been a prototype. There are photos of it dismantled in my book.

The original patent is quite confusing as father and son were both called Thomas Woodward.

However, it is believed the son moved to London to manage the H&H factory. You can see a photo of him on the factory floor in the H&H book by 'the Donald'.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Thomas Woodward....what do you know? - 03/13/09 07:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Small Bore
The T&T Woodward patent of 1876 was known for a time as the 'Acme' and was retailled by a number of makers other than T. Woodward. I have seen them by Adams and others.

They are generally not finished as 'best' guns, rather as third or fourth quality guns and they generally do not make very high prices in the UK. You occasionally see a better quality example but I think it was conceived as a lower-priced gun as it is quite easy to manfacture and assemble the parts.

A decent example for £200 plus commission at Holts a couple of years ago comes to mind. I sold one by T. Woodward built on his modified coil-spring patent of 1884 for £400 last year. This may well have been a prototype. There are photos of it dismantled in my book.

The original patent is quite confusing as father and son were both called Thomas Woodward.

However, it is believed the son moved to London to manage the H&H factory. You can see a photo of him on the factory floor in the H&H book by 'the Donald'.

Smallbore,
I just received my T. Woodward 10 bore. The first thing that comes to mind when you have this gun in your hands...is high quality. Everything about the gun is very nice. Along with the very nicely fitted heel and toe clips, it even has a compartment in the buttstock that holds 2 extra fire blued strikers and a set of coil springs. I have not had the locks off of the gun yet. The other thing I like about this gun is the shape of the action, it is rounded and feels very trim and petite for a 10 bore...it is very well balanced as well...it feels more like a medium weight 12 bore fowler than a 10 bore bruiser.

Why was this gun not more popular? The shape of the action combined with its (as you say) simplicity to manufacture, its obvious robustness, etc. I would think the gun would have more appeal.

Dustin
I have recently worked on a Woodward and co cased muzzle loader a good well made gun is this connected to the others?
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Thomas Woodward (many pics added!) - 03/13/09 11:17 PM
Here are some additional pics of the T. Woodward. A little more detailed than the first set I posted. Notice the excellent wood to metal fit...the odd features such as the cocking indicators, the "rolling" safety, the roundness of the action, the inside of the forend also has the words "Wanson patent 9139" engraved on it, and the little "compartment" for the extra strikers and coil springs. No doubt about it, Mr. T. Woodward knew how to make a cool gun! :-)

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Thomas Woodward (many pics added!) - 03/13/09 11:36 PM
I wouldn't kick her out of bed....why the need for the extra springs ?
Posted By: Terry Buffum Re: Thomas Woodward (many pics added!) - 03/13/09 11:42 PM
Here is a similar gun retailed by E M Reilly

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Thomas Woodward (many pics added!) - 03/13/09 11:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Terry Buffum
Here is a similar gun retailed by E M Reilly

Boy she's got some purty scratching on her.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com