doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bill Janssen Another RBL delivery - 11/17/06 04:56 AM
S/N 261, straight grip, splinter forearm, single trigger, 3X wood,assisted opener, case colors and long LOP ordered last September PIF and worth the wait, I'm really tickled with it.

Picked it up this morning and ran a couple boxes of shells through it this afternoon at the plate and backyard clay birds. I'm happy to report the bbls are regulated perfectly, I cant see a hair's worth of difference between them. The stock dimensions put me dead on point of aim at 16 yards. I like to be a little high (meaning the comb could be a little higher for me)but it's still better-than acceptable. It feels good and is very comfortable to shoot and easy to hit with.

The single trigger worked perfectly with live ammo, it's some sort of inertia operation and takes a little hand-bump between pulls when using snap caps. Pull weight is a very consistent 5 1/4 lbs. but is very smooth and feels lighter than that.

The ejectors really fire out the empties. I'm going to have to play around some with the assisted-opening feature to decide if I like it or not. I haven't taken it out yet to see what the opening-closing "difficulty differential" is yet, but am fruit for gadgets and glad I ordered it regardless.

Had no problems with the choke-tubes & wrench set-up. I immediately worked over the threads with never-seize. The coarse, square-shoulder threads zip in and out very quickly. Since I was checking for regulation and POI I shot it with the full and IM tubes and didn't count pellets or anything but it appears to shoot VERY tight, at least with these two tubes. The little leather pouch that the chokes and wrench come in is very cool,as is the whole package with the nice case and all the little trinkets.

Bill
Posted By: Mike Poore Re: Another RBL delivery - 11/17/06 12:24 PM
Congratulations, Bill! Nice report, and more info for the DB.
Posted By: gcovert Re: Another RBL delivery - 11/17/06 02:41 PM
love to see some pics of case coloring also did you specify wood choice ie black walnut?
Posted By: Zircon Re: Another RBL delivery - 11/17/06 05:33 PM
Bill, if you can post pictures of the 3X wood, would be very interested. Did you order black walnut? Pretty close to what I've got coming - straight, splinter, DT, 3X black walnut, 14 3/4", assisted opener, coin finish.
Posted By: Bill Janssen Re: Another RBL delivery - 11/17/06 05:38 PM
gcovert:

I'll see what I can do about pictures. I'm weak in this area but if I can talk Sweet Thing into helping she's good at this.

I'm fruit for English Walnut with those marbly-looking streaks and asked for "English-type (mineral streaked)" wood (or words to that effect)in the comment section of the order form. That's exactly what they sent, I'm very pleased with the wood. I'm anxious to see how the case coloring wears. I know it's going to wear (it all does) but some look better with "honest wear" than others.

Mike: Thanks, I enjoyed your report also.

Bill
Posted By: Bill Janssen Re: Another RBL delivery - 11/19/06 07:06 PM
Zircon, gcovert:

I have some pictures now that show the wood & case colors okay if y'all or Chuck or someone will volunteer to post if I send them on an email, my computer skills fall somewhere between Jethro's and Granny's.

Bill
Posted By: Bill Janssen Re: Another RBL delivery - 11/20/06 01:25 PM
Let's see if this works...

Posted By: Bill Janssen Re: Another RBL delivery - 11/20/06 01:29 PM
Here's the 3x wood...

Posted By: Chuck H Re: Another RBL delivery - 11/20/06 02:11 PM
Sorry, Bill.
I did't catch that hint for the help with the pics until just now. Looks like you gotter done.

Great looking gun. I'm another gun closer.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Another RBL delivery - 11/20/06 02:19 PM
It looks like the request for "mineral streaked English looking" wood was honored. I feel the same about this. If it looks like English, I don't care if it was grown in California.
Posted By: Bill Janssen Re: Another RBL delivery - 11/20/06 02:29 PM
Chuck:

Yes, but thanks anyway. Actually it worked out best, as a bonus now I know how to do it for myself. It's not that hard just by following the direction in the BBS FAQ section.

Bill
Posted By: gcovert Re: Another RBL delivery - 11/20/06 02:54 PM
thx bill, that is awesome .
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Another RBL delivery - 11/20/06 03:20 PM
Bill - Thanks for posting the pics. I also ordered the Ca. English ... we're in the minority. Jay
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Another RBL delivery - 11/20/06 04:18 PM
Ron/Bill,
I'll be glad to help. It looks like Bill has is figured out now. I was out hunting Sunday and missed this PM.
Posted By: Bill Janssen Re: Another RBL delivery - 11/20/06 05:19 PM
Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Yes, I'm really tickled with the wood, especially since I ordered "just enough" upgrade (3X...2X being standard) to be able to specify type. It's actually a little darker than the image in the second picture, which I lightened up some with the software to better reproduce the grain. The first one is more accurate re: wood color.

I've always been weak for nice streaky English (or California or Turkey or whatever), the pic Chuck posted under "Sterlingworth Stock Help" is the berries.

In order to post pictures, I had to overcome a strong genetic predisposition to avoid reading directions.

Bill
Posted By: Zircon Re: Another RBL delivery - 11/21/06 04:29 AM
Bill, thanks a million for posting the pics. Gorgeous gun. I like the 3X wood. Hope mine looks that good - although I've got black walnut coming. I like that red alkanet root stain.

Chuck, thanks for offering to post pics. Appreciate it!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com