Occasionally one will find a British gun that had proof marks stamped in error on the flats of the barrels, and I have had such a gun in the past.

However, the Birmingham proof house error that I have wanted to actually see for twenty years plus yers was the error that occurred in 1952 where the Birmingham proof house stamped the “viewers mark” (actually a date code and originally referred to as private view marks) with the year date and the Birmingham “B” code in reverse. The date code should have been “C B” over 1 among a pair of crossed swords but the steel stamp was made to stamp “B C” over 1---where C is the code for year 1952. It is thought in the gun trade that the reversed stamp was used until a new one was made. See the note about the number “1” below.

That this error existed on a few guns proofed in 1952 at the Birmingham proof house has been known about for decades but until LeFusil, aka Dustin, posted the photos of his Osborne gun for sale on this site in the Guns for Sale section I had never seen one although looking for an example since I first learned about it from Jack Rowe in 1998. To my way of thinking it makes this Charles Osborne gun a bit “collectible”.

The date code (viewers mark) was introduced by Birmingham proof master Lt. Col. Charles Playfair in 1921 with the year date code beginning with the letter “A” which was stamped between the hilts at the top of a pair of crossed swords (scepters). This style of viewers mark was continued to about the time that Lt. Col. Playfair died in 1941 when the date code stamping ceased during the war years and later years until 1950 when a new date code was re-introduced by the new Birmingham proof master R.P. Lees.

Once again the year date code began with the letter “A” (for 1950) but the date code stamp style was changed to where a pair of crossed swords was stamped into the barrel flats and had the year date on the left, the Birmingham proof house code (“B”) on the right and the proof house “rank” of the viewer stamped at the bottom between the swords—most time it will be the rank “1”.

The above referenced viewers mark style was used until 1974 (letter “Z”). Beginning in 1975 a date code style eliminating the crossed swords to that of “circle” stamped into the barrel flats with the year date within the circle on the left, the Birmingham “B” on the right and the rank code at the bottom of the circle was use; and as expected the year date of 1975 was an “A” and so forth. Even this new circle style mark was not without controversy and had to be modified from the 3 segments inside the circle used as division lines between the right, left and bottom letters and number as originally designed by the proof house. These 3 division lines made it difficult to read the 3 codes letters/number and these lines were eliminated. The circle with the 3 division lines resembled a Mercedes Benz star circle.

The Birmingham proof house date codes do not seem to be stamped on all guns for some reason during the early years that it was used. Also the date codes were stamped on guns that were newly proofed and guns that had been re-proofed as in the case of the Osborne.

Thanks Dustin.

Kindest regards;
Stephen Howell