May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (PM, jake van dyke, Shotgunlover, KDGJ), 1,269 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,653
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Buzz, DropLockBob, eeb, gjw, improved modified, John Roberts, Karl Graebner, Kip, LeFusil, mc, NCTarheel, Nitrah, Owenjj3, Parabola, Ted Schefelbein, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#640202 01/03/2024 12:20 AM
by eeb
eeb
The current Shooting Sportsman issue has an article by Diggory Hadoke about the new OU from Westley Richards. The article states the gun is not proofed for steel shot, because, apparently, WR believes if you can afford six figures (plus) for a shotgun you can afford to shoot bismuth through it, which doesn’t require steel proof. Can Hevi-Shot be used? The guns are Teague choked. WR made a business decision to not proof their guns for steel shot, which I find extremely short sighted. Maybe the new guns can’t handle the requirements of steel? Am I correct that Purdey and H&H now proof their guns for steel? Seems a shame to spend that kind of coin on a top of the line gun made with sophisticated manufacturing applications when it can’t handle modern ammo. Comments?
Liked Replies
by keith
keith
I really hate to see people accepting the silly idea that steel shot replacing lead ammo is inevitable.

I don't accept that any more than I believe that an end to the 2nd Amendment and the private ownership of firearms is inevitable. But it does take paying attention to the threats from the anti-gun and anti-hunting Liberal Left Democrats. It is no secret that's where virtually all of the threats to our gun rights come from.

It might just be smarter and better to volunteer to be a poll watcher than shopping for guns that are proofed for steel.... unless you are the type that just gives in to woke nonsense and insanity. The men who wrote the Bill of Rights into the Constitution weren't that type.
5 members like this
by canvasback
canvasback
I’m with WR on this one.
3 members like this
by improved modified
improved modified
He posted 2, the J.D. Stettler & Son is mine.
3 members like this
by L. Brown
L. Brown
WR makes a good point. If you can afford their guns, then you can also afford more expensive nontoxic options than steel.
2 members like this
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
That would be the wrong tool for the job.

Near as I can tell, the best grouse shots are using dynamic guns with five and 15 construction, muzzle light,

There’s a reason grouse shooting shotguns evolved into what they became.

A target gun is too slow.
2 members like this
by Nitrah
Nitrah
I have friends that go to England/Scotland often and shoot classic, if not real old SxS. They said the additional cost for non toxic shot, in the scheme of things is not enough to make them change guns.
2 members like this
by Owenjj3
Owenjj3
My understanding is that the reluctance, by WR to proof for Steel lies in the belief that making barrels for steel shot can result in undesirable handling qualities . Quoting from their blog post last summer:

“It is the barrels that impart so much of that fabulous handling quality into the guns we love and shoot. We should look after them; and that means, for now at least, picking up the ‘phone and ordering a few slabs of bismuth in cartridges of the appropriate case length, swallowing the cost and getting on with enjoying our season.“
2 members like this
by mc
mc
Your Stettler and son gun is beautiful nice engraving.
2 members like this
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
You are correct Larry.

Shooting a few hundred rounds of bismuth is an insignificant cost when shooting driven game on the estates that require no lead ammunition.
Modern copper plated bismuth cartridges are great ammunition.

I shot three days on driven grouse this fall, where non lead was required, doublegunning, shot about 500rounds,
Ammunition cost never once entered my mind.

It is an expensive endeavor, it has a high barrier to entry, you know all that before you start.

Westley Richard’s is one of the companies waiting for you when you decide to start.
1 member likes this
by canvasback
canvasback
No one who pays 6 figures for a gun cares about the difference in price from steel to bismuth.

I can’t afford a 5 figure gun, never mind 6 figures and I don’t shoot steel out of anything.
1 member likes this
by eeb
eeb
What a gun. Enjoy
1 member likes this
by bushveld
bushveld
IM;

That is indeed a beautiful gun.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell
1 member likes this
#640602 Jan 10th a 12:40 PM
by GLS
GLS
Originally Posted by eeb
Can Hevi-Shot be used? ?

No. Currently the alloy is steel and tungsten. Tungsten is denser and harder than steel. Steel has three times less rigidity than tungsten. Gil
1 member likes this
by Owenjj3
Owenjj3
I saw the photos and wondered who ordered it…shoot it in good health! Great decision to not proof for superior steel in harm the dynamics of the gun.
1 member likes this
#640665 Jan 11th a 07:15 PM
by damascus
damascus
Is it me!! Or is Westly Richards think rather a lot of themselves. Have I got this right they want customers to pay a four figure plus sum for a gun that will not handle steel, who the hell do they think they are the one and only Gods gift to the shooting man! Other high finish makers can produce barrels that are proofed for steel. If a gun maker wanted to charge me a four figure plus for a gun I would want it to be able to cope with steel shot to Camel dropping's and every stop in between. And if that is going to be their sales policy they can stick their gun up in a place where the sun dont shine, I am sure that I will be alone in thinking this so lets see how long this idiotic sales tactic lasts.
Ernie. The sometimes cantankerous old git who knows when someone is trying hard extracting the piss.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.