May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (cpa, battle, Jusanothajoe, Birdog, bushveld, 2 invisible), 1,194 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,653
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Argo44, campero, Hammergun, Imperdix, Jimmy W, John Roberts, keith, mc, Parabola, Researcher, Stanton Hillis, steve voss, Ted Schefelbein, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#635916 09/28/2023 11:14 PM
by shrapnel
shrapnel
I have been out awhile this afternoon looking for some grouse with this George Daw SXS. I did find a couple to get a nice pair and pictures…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Liked Replies
#635963 Sep 30th a 07:52 PM
by shrapnel
shrapnel
Steven Dodd Hughes did a 2 feature article on it for “Shooting Sportsman” several years ago. It is a fabulous article and Steven did a lot of research on the gun and found when it was made and where it was shipped.

Honestly, I can’t remember if he found when it was sleeved, but he found lots of other information on it. There is a spare extractor and 2 spare firing pins under the heel plate, serial numbered to the gun. George Daw was an exceptional gun maker and this is an indication of that work.

I have another Daw underlever that is not nearly as good of condition. Daw guns are very rare and extremely well made guns…
3 members like this
#635991 Oct 1st a 12:54 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Anyone with more than a passing interest in good double guns cares if a gun is sleeved. Who did the work, and the quality of said work are often the only remaining qualifier of whether a “fine, old, gun” remains, a fine old gun.

Best,
Ted
3 members like this
#635985 Oct 1st a 06:57 AM
by shrapnel
shrapnel
Originally Posted by Argo44
Whitworth didn't patent pressed fluid steel until 1865. It was expensive and the gun trade stayed away from it... yet the patent was extended for 5 years in 1879 and the Whitworth "wheatsheaf" mark became a symbol of quality in the early 1880's. Purdey made his first gun with the steel in 1879 - delivered in 1880. There is no way that barrel is original to the gun. The gun is still beautiful.

Of course it has been sleeved! Who cares? Is this the first English gun anyone has ever seen that has been sleeved?

Good grief, what sleeving has to do with the gun is only part of the history, I guess I don’t see what the urgency is to keep questioning that aspect of the gun’s pedigree…
2 members like this
#635995 Oct 1st a 02:13 PM
by Parabola
Parabola
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“who did the work?” This in NOT Shrapnel’s lovely Daw hammer gun, but the only sleeving job I have seen (other than early Westley Richards sleeving jobs where they emblazoned their name above the Proof House mandated SLEEVED on the exterior of the breeches) that has been signed by the craftsman who did the job.

Note the tiny E.COOKE stamped over the joint.

Once a sleeved gun has changed hands the information as to who did the work is likely to be lost in the mists of time.

The quality, whether replacement or sleeved barrels has to be judged by straightness, striking down , bore finish and liveliness of the re-barrelled gun.
2 members like this
#636013 Oct 2nd a 01:28 AM
by bushveld
bushveld
Here is another Daw of the same decade:

https://www.holtsauctioneers.com/as...123+++1800+&refno=203889&image=3
2 members like this
#636017 Oct 2nd a 03:34 AM
by shrapnel
shrapnel
Here is the series from "Shooting Sportsman"

2 members like this
#636018 Oct 2nd a 03:38 AM
by shrapnel
shrapnel
2 members like this
#635948 Sep 30th a 02:21 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
What year is that Daw, Shrapnel?

Believe it or not, it was made in 1866. It’s hard to believe that a centerfire cartridge gun was made that early in percussion gun era, but it was made in 1866…

Amazing, what a survivor! So, tell me about the fluid steel barrels. That's really what prompted my question about the age.
1 member likes this
#635960 Sep 30th a 05:49 PM
by Imperdix
Imperdix
It looks sleeved to me.
1 member likes this
#635961 Sep 30th a 06:33 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by Imperdix
It looks sleeved to me.

I had that notion as well…

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
#635953 Sep 30th a 02:03 PM
by lagopus
lagopus
It was an 1862 patent. I have one but the action must have been bought in by Frederick Gates of Derby and finished by him. The top rib is marked Daw's Patent. I think mine is 1863 vintage. Also Damascus barrelled. Has yours had new steel barrels fitted at some time? Lagopus.....
1 member likes this
#635967 Sep 30th a 10:35 PM
by Austin Hawthorne
Austin Hawthorne
Shrapnel,
I have a Shooting Sportsman assortment of magazines going back 15, or so, years. When I get the time this, week, I will look to see if I have the article you mentioned.
1 member likes this
#636015 Oct 2nd a 02:43 AM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Shotgunlover: There are a shocking number of guns out there that do not have the Scott spindle and the Purdy double underbite. Many of them are even well-made guns and some of them are actually English guns of good quality. I know you already know that because, like you, I had this realization myself several years ago. I don't know about you, but it was actually something of an epiphany for me as well. "Good" is evidently not the enemy of "best" in guns either it seems.
1 member likes this
#636014 Oct 2nd a 01:50 AM
by Argo44
Argo44
GEORGE H. DAW
A 12-BORE 1862 PATENT 'DAW'S PATENT CENTRAL FIRE' PUSH-FORWARD UNDERLEVER HAMMERGUN, serial no. 237,
circa 1865, 30in. lined nitro damascus barrels (in 2007, slightly loose), the rib engraved 'GEORGE H. DAW'S PATENT CENTRAL FIRE, 57 THREADNEEDLE ST. LONDON. NO. 237.', 2 1/2in. chambers, bored approx. 1/4 choke in both, G.H. Daw patent action, patent no. 1594 of 1862, use no. 237, carved percussion fences, elongated topstrap, non-rebounding back-action locks, permanently attached fore-end with horn finial and crosspin release, best bolt acanthus scroll engraving with feathered bordering, bright finish, 14 1/4in. well-figured stock with engraved steel heel and toe plates, weight 7lb. 9oz.

Thanks Stephen: an interesting advertisement. This part of the ad is super interesting. "G.H. Daw patent action, patent no. 1594 of 1862, use no. 237." Apparently Daw stamped a patent use number for his own patent onto his own guns; Wonder is this was the normal arrangement for all patent holders or just Daw? Is there a Daw patent use number on Shrapnel's gun?

And 1/4 chokes in both barrels??? 12 years before choke boring became popularized? Barrels must have been honed. Oh wait - I missed the "slightly loose" "lined barrels" part of the ad. Holt's really should publish photos of the barrel and action flats of their guns.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.