May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (LRF, eightbore, Sun Dog, 1 invisible), 295 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,646
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Buzz, gil russell, Jimmy W, John Roberts, mc, Parabola, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#635888 09/27/2023 9:08 PM
by Shotgunjones
Shotgunjones
The price tag on my last can of Promo says $124.99 with a date of 3-2018.

Grafs when they had it in stock last month showed $255.99.

That's over 100% in 5 years. Inflation depending on who you believe shows 22-28% over the 5 year time period.

Gentlemen, we are being screwed.

I bought Alliant/Hercules powder for decades before I ever switched to the 'powder trust' and their imported stuff after Alliant's manufacturer induced 'shortage' several years ago.

I've been buying 'Perfect Pattern', NSI primers, and shot made in both Spain and Turkey just to have something to shoot.

To top it off, our club just paid over $17 a box for White Flyers delivered. Another product that has outstripped inflation by a good amount.

Joe Average is about to be priced completely out of this sport.
Liked Replies
#635901 Sep 28th a 11:54 AM
by eeb
eeb
Shotgun shooters seem to have received the short end of the component stick. I can find plenty of rifle and pistol powders but around here shotgun powders are hard to come by. Vista Outdoors has assembled a monopoly over components which I think is the cause of availability issues. Monopolies are bad. The foreign ammo makers have managed to find a foothold here and they are getting my bumwad dollars. In regards to inflation, without getting political, it’s debasement of the currency caused by reckless and feckless spending.
1 member likes this
#635923 Sep 29th a 10:22 AM
by L. Brown
L. Brown
I'd ad Recobs to the "trusted" list of places that stock and sell a lot of components.
1 member likes this
#635924 Sep 29th a 01:42 PM
by dogon
dogon
FYI Gee-Whiz stuff here.

I did an Argentina dove shoot last June. The outfitter was telling us they were being rationed on 12 & 20ga ammo and couldn't get 28 or .410. When asked why they were having a shortage. The answer was that 80% of the powder produced in Argentina was being exported to America. I don't know the whole story, but I do believe what I was told.

The public shooting park I go to around here is now charging $40.00 for a round of 100 sporting clays & if you have to buy ammo there it's $15.00 a box. That makes it a $100.00 per round-- pretty expensive in my book. Thankfully I don't have to buy ammo from them, but I wouldn't be willing to pay this kind of cash to shoot some clay birds.
1 member likes this
#636117 Oct 5th a 02:11 AM
by tanky
tanky
I previously lived in NJ where my club charged $5/rd of trap, skeet or 5 stand. They could keep costs down because they bought targets by the trailer load. When most of the members are blue color type guys they find a way to keep it affordable. Then I moved to south Florida. There are some fantastic shotgun ranges in the general area but still better than an hours ride north or south where I live. Prices to shoot are much higher here. The blue color retiree here is pretty much priced out. If it's difficult for me how will this activity attract young people? I think clay shooting is going to become an exclusive activity for the wealthy like in Europe. There are many reasons for this, inflation, dollar losing reserve currency status, urban sprawl, politics, etc. One of my old friends said it's a good time to be old. Maby he was right!
1 member likes this
#636158 Oct 5th a 10:40 PM
by Chantry
Chantry
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
Not to dispute what you say Chantry, you pointed out some good issues. I don't know how much of the story is accurate, but I read on the trapshooter's forum that Winchester is coming out now with greater supplies of the 209 primers. Some of the members on that board said that they were paying around $70.00 for 1000 primers. So, we might want to keep an eye out for that. Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up. But when I started shooting trap 25 years ago, I believe it cost $3.50 a round for trap and skeet for members at our club. Now it costs $5.00 a round, so I don't think that's too bad. And you are right about reloading costs- they sure have gone up. It used to cost me about $2.50 to load a box of 12 gauge shells. I don't even want to figure what it costs now. It's an expensive sport/hobby.

I'm not just a shotgun shooter and talking to other handgun and rifle shooters, primer prices are as high or higher than shotgun primers. Powder seems to about the same, bullets and brass seems to be higher than pre-Covid as well. Using 9mm as a benchmark, 50 rounds of factory FMJ is about $2 more per 50 than pre-Covid.

I expect when things settle down, if they ever do, most American made components aren't going to get much cheaper than now. American primers will probably end up between $60-$70 per thousand for rifle, pistol & shotgun.

I'm expecting shortages late spring to early summer of next year due to the election. Maybe not so much for the shotgun sports, but definitely the more common rifle & pistol calibers and related reloading components
1 member likes this
#636141 Oct 5th a 05:37 PM
by Parabola
Parabola
Our nearest clay shoot has charged £18 for 50 birds at Sporting Clays for a long while.

I went to a different club last Sunday and it was slightly more expensive at £25 for 60 birds.

If I only had to pay for the clays I succeed in breaking in mid-air I would save quite a bit of money!
1 member likes this
#636316 Oct 10th a 01:22 AM
by keith
keith
Originally Posted by Bob Cash
Originally Posted by bushveld
HAMAS just increased the price of propellant.
Originally Posted by mc
That darn hamas.
You should both be horsewhipped.

Actually, if anyone should be horse-whipped, it is the anti-gun senile idiot who calls inflation Bidenomics, and also recently handed Iran 6 billion dollars.. That is permitting them to provide a lot more money to Hamas, Hezbollah, and other terrorists. Trump wiped out ISIS in short order and had Iran on the brink of collapse. Like it or not, demands for ammunition for large military actions ends up creating shortages and higher prices for civilian ammo and reloading components. Supplying ammo to support Ukraine isn't helping either. At least Obama only sent them MRE's and blankets when Russia invaded Crimea.

I understand that it is very difficult for some folks to connect the dots...
1 member likes this
#636340 Oct 10th a 02:45 PM
by bushveld
bushveld
Originally Posted by Bob Cash
Originally Posted by bushveld
HAMAS just increased the price of propellant.
Originally Posted by mc
That darn hamas.
You should both be horsewhipped.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.