May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (AGS, KY Jon, ClapperZapper, Jtplumb, dogon, 1 invisible), 718 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,643
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, canvasback, ChiefAmungum, David Williamson, FallCreekFan, Geo. Newbern, Jimmy W, John Roberts, Parabola, SKB, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Less than a week to launch now, so working on the first cut of guns and ammo today. Planning a nice long stay, which allows a better mix of bird guns to go this year. Since I seldom fly, I have the luxury of doing it like this. Still trying to figure out what and how much ammo to take, but it shouldn't take me too-long (most are old friends). Taking even more foodstuffs this year too (as my wife is flying up as well for at least half of it). With her cooking, I suspect that I wont be able to walk quite enough to lose any real weight, but I'll be giving it my best shot.
Liked Replies
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
All packed up here tonight.Taking a shocking amount of foodstuffs with me (much cheaper here than up on the frontier and a better variety). Even loaded up on some good wine at the local Costco (we are going to be up there for a pretty long stretch this year). A buddy donated a fairly decent Laz-E-Boy chair for the camp (got one going on the fritz up there) so that's in the back as well. A local has let us raid her tomato patch in past years (she uses fish-heads & guts as fert and they have been pretty spectacular!) so I'm taking up a good supply of venison (elk & deer) to share-around again (& with her & her husband as well). The ride across the plains can be a bit grueling, but the route is well-known now and I'm taking a modern (and very comfortable) set of wheels so...bring it on! Barring the unforeseen, this should be a pretty wonderful adventure. Feeling quite-blessed tonight. Launch early tomorrow AM.
5 members like this
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Thanks folks! Not leaving until Saturday, but you know how hard getting unhooked from everything is. This used to be easier somehow. Now I'm traveling with 2 laptops and a cellphone just to keep the juggling-act going. Really looking forward to that first trail, just closing my gun on a couple shells and and setting off for a few hours of blessed isolation.
4 members like this
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Big day here today. Shot my 16 for the 1st time in several years and it performed flawlessly. Limited out before noon.
4 members like this
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Thanks Karl, and fear not, have cellphone will travel.

First cut is now done and I found 90% of what I was looking for (missing a good pair of low-light Costa hunting/fishing sunglasses and my favorite camo hunting coat (hopefully I left both up there last Spring!). My gunroom has become rather frightful, as it desperately needs yet another hoeing-out and organizing. I've been stockpiling ammo and components for years and while it's a good problem to have these days, I'm tripping over a bunch of stuff now. Rods and reels, rifles and boots and all the rest. I need to take some notes from my hyper-organized and super-efficient wife (as I didn't need or learn all that as a younger man back in Hillbilly Hell). God give me grace...

Don't worry CZ, I sprinkle money all over the place. If I didn't use mostly-ancient English shotguns I'd buy all my shells up there, but only one of my guns is even remotely modern (well...two counting the "truck gun"). Between gasoline, groceries, booze, bait, and various house & boat-hardware needs, the local economy does just fine when I'm in residence.
3 members like this
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Made it. Still lots to do (and even unpack), but...I'm hunting 1st thing tomorrow. Hearing good things from the locals and the Fall colors are well along here already. My brummy BLE is quivering.
3 members like this
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Who says you can't shoot ruffed grouse with a hammergun? You certainly can if they're young and dumb.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
2 members like this
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
I know it’s contrary to how most of us typically do things, but try to spend a little money with the local businesses if you can. Buying a few boxes of shotgun shells in a common size saves a lot of carrying burden for you and just might help a little mom and pop hardware store where you get your license at.
That’s how I ended up with so many boxes of active shells. They were just on the shelf at a hardware store on my way north.
1 member likes this
by craigd
craigd
Safe travels Lloyd, have some new adventures and make some new memories.
1 member likes this
by Karl Graebner
Karl Graebner
Lloyd,
Wishing you another great North trip, keep us posted with plenty of photos!
Karl
1 member likes this
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Lloyd,
Have a safe trip. I presume a certain Dodge is not making the trip?

Let me know if you forget anything.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Cool up there this morning, a low of 41-degrees. It should look something like this upon my arrival...

The challenge is the 2-day drive on our interstate system to get up there. I've tried several alternative routes but... for overall efficiency (fuel, time, & general comfort) the interstates still rule. I-80 can be pretty bad, but I-35 is usually very nice. Anyway....this is how it starts (heading east from our home here in Colorado).

Is it just me or is it hard to balance these two worlds?
1 member likes this
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Love your reports, Lloyd. Hope you have a great and safe sojourn.
JR
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.