May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,110 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Buzz, earlyriser, Ghostrider, John Roberts, Jusanothajoe, old colonel, Parabola, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#632584 07/06/2023 7:01 PM
by campero
campero
Just received these great snap cups with cotton mop from USA. Great accesories for taking care our guns even if they are hammer guns.

A bit WD-40 on the cotton mop and Milady is ready to rest until the start of the new season.

How many of you use these accesories?

[img]https://i.ibb.co/nzDbsk7/IMG-20230706-184207-578.webp[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/wdjLhjP/IMG-20230706-184207-607.webp[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/KWpbGrS/IMG-20230706-184207-621.webp[/img]

Sorry, but the embeded link does not work as other times.
Liked Replies
#633576 Jul 31st a 12:53 PM
by OldMaineWoodsman
OldMaineWoodsman
It's not. It is liquefied gas such as butane, isobutane, or propane.
2 members like this
#633575 Jul 31st a 12:53 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Jimmy, respectfully, there's a big difference between aerosol compressants and compressed air in my shop.
2 members like this
#646230 Apr 29th a 02:20 PM
by Karl Graebner
Karl Graebner
I've used Clenzoil for wiping down my guns, using their wiping pad. It has worked very well and has a good viscosity for most usages.
Karl
2 members like this
#632604 Jul 7th a 02:20 PM
by campero
campero
Thank you for your words and advice!

I'm surprised because you say that these snap caps with cotton mop can create rust in the chamber. I think quite the opposite. I put some WD-40 oil on the cotton mop and I hope it will be good for the barrel.

Best regards!
1 member likes this
#632687 Jul 10th a 03:26 PM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
If you can’t rust a gun in Mississippi where can you. Take care.
1 member likes this
#633483 Jul 29th a 09:04 AM
by campero
campero
Some time has passed...

The cotton mop is slightly wet from the oil and the chamber is in perfect condition.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
1 member likes this
#633484 Jul 29th a 11:19 AM
by OldMaineWoodsman
OldMaineWoodsman
To each his own, but there are simply far better products than WD-40 for the care of fine firearms.

I see it the same as the guy who pays $1000-1500 for a quality gun dog pup, feeds it the cheapest supermarket food he can get, and then wonders why it's at the vet all the time.
1 member likes this
#633573 Jul 31st a 12:31 PM
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
Do you have an air compressor at home in your garage? When you get done using it do you let the air out of the tank? Why do you do that? Because compressed air has moisture in it and it will rest the bottom of the air compressor tank. I always learned it anytime something was under compression it is going to have a certain amount of moisture in it. So that is why I never used air compressed oil on my guns. So just to be safe I always use Gun oil in a can on my guns. They are too critical to take the chance.

I don't think air is the propellent in aerosol cans.
1 member likes this
#646179 Apr 28th a 02:57 PM
by campero
campero
Today I have take my lovely single barrel gun with the snap cap inside and have a sad surprise. The cotton had rust and I had to clean the inside of the barrel very well.

Some of you were wright when advice me.

Best regards!
1 member likes this
#646217 Apr 29th a 01:10 AM
by campero
campero
When the hunting season was over I put my shotgun away with the snap cap inside. Yesterday I took it out to check it and found that the cotton had a brown wick. I looked inside the chamber and there was also a stain. I cleaned everything well with a 28ga chamber brush, oil and cotton cloths that I wiped with a ramrod.
1 member likes this
#646226 Apr 29th a 07:54 AM
by campero
campero
To clean my guns I use these two products. The oil for general cleaning and the grease to put on some parts where there is friction or rubbing.

I will not use these cotton snap caps again, where I don't want to put grease on it because I don't like grease in the chamber.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
1 member likes this
#633487 Jul 29th a 01:43 PM
by oskar
oskar
In the 1980's I had a small gunship in western MN. WD-40 was a money maker for me. Duck hunters would spray their triggers and actions with the stuff and it would turn to a thick gummy varnish like crud. Their shotguns would quit working and I made fair money cleaning them and getting them up and running. I won't use it on my rifles and shotguns.

I don't leave snap caps in my shotguns, I fire them on snap caps and remove the barrels take.the snap caps out and put it back together, the springs are.relaxed until you open the barrels and cock it.
1 member likes this
#646231 Apr 29th a 02:53 PM
by Colonial
Colonial
It has been posted many times -- by others
WD-40 is not an oil.
I use Ballistol
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.