May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Tim in PA), 797 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,720
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
azgreg, BrentD, Prof, ClapperZapper, DoubleTake, eeb, John Roberts, Ken Nelson, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#632447 07/03/2023 8:18 PM
by Sandlapper
Sandlapper
I was just reading one of the threads about target guns vs. game guns and agree wholeheartedly with the posts. I am contemplating acquiring a 12 bore clays O/U, as I have been shooting most of my game guns on a rotating basis for the last 5-6 years with varying results. I bought a Guerini Revenant 20 ga. 3 years ago to use specifically on clays, as I am not a competition shooter and it is very comfortable to shoot 6-8 boxes through once or twice a week and honestly, seems to shatter birds as well as all my fellow shooters, who all shoot 12 gauges. My question is this; I would like to get a 12 gauge clays O/U that will stand up to the weekly pounding of 200 rounds, but I don't know what gun to buy; there is such a myriad of brands and models that seem to be out there, it is very difficult to know which are the most durable and shootable. Disregarding price( and I know you can go as high as the moon), what makes or models stand out with superior quality, shootability, durability and value to you? Thanks, Sandlapper
Liked Replies
#632456 Jul 3rd a 11:13 PM
by Kip
Kip
My vote would go to Perazzi or Kolar, with both of them being Boss-action guns. They also both have large competition-oriented dealer and service networks in the US.
2 members like this
#632719 Jul 11th a 03:55 AM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Originally Posted by sandlapper
I currently shoot my Merkel 303 Luxus 12, because it is the only O/U I have that is choked tightly enough (.026/.030) to break the birds consistently on our Fitasc range, but I hate to put so many rounds through it becsuse it is basically a field model and in the 7 lb. weight range.
You're being knocked about unmercifully with that Merkel. The high standing breech accentuates the upward force of recoil against your face and it's way too light for the high round count of SC. Find a more suitable clays gun before you develop a flinch.
JR
2 members like this
#633137 Jul 20th a 12:27 AM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
I am going to shoot one Saturday. CG is having a tent deal at Bald Mountain.

I’ll run a round of FITASC and see how it points.

When shooting FITASC I follow Ben Hustwaite’s example. That is, use a bayonet mount on the nose of the target and then most of the time just do a small pull or push away.

A gun that is lively and points crisply is a benefit in that shooting style. You need that acceleration to the nose of the bird.

Faulds is a very minimal gun movement competitor. He makes everything look smooth and graceful. so it will be interesting to see if his design works well when using the bayonet style mount.
2 members like this
#632460 Jul 4th a 12:34 AM
by eeb
eeb
Just shoot your CG 20 with 7/8 oz loads. Lots of guys who handload shoot 7/8 and they break clays just fine. Fortunately it seems 7/8 factory loads are more available now than ever. Rio and Cleaver sell them. If you have to have a 12 CG is fine but I prefer Perazzi with fixed M/IM. Preowned is the way to go
1 member likes this
#632833 Jul 14th a 11:23 AM
by Sandlapper
Sandlapper
John, You are correct about unnecessary recoil with the Merkel, even though it has .729 bores( not the usual undersized German bores), it still works on you after 3-4 boxes are fired. Marcus
1 member likes this
#632834 Jul 14th a 11:35 AM
by Sandlapper
Sandlapper
Gentlemen, I have listened to all your well-reasoned input, and read everything on the net I can find about brand preferences of target guns, and have narrowed it down to a Guerini Invictus IX M-Spec 34" model. From what I can see, rightly or wrongly, it combines the mechanics of a high round count clays model with the wood quality and decoration that I want. It seems to be more than a dolled up model built on the same chassis as a lower grade model. Guerini seems to have realized that, in order to be competitive with Kolar, Perazzi, P&V, etc., they had to have a totally new design that can withstand the truckloads of rounds that serious shooters put through these guns. If my logic is faulty, give me your reasons, please. Thanks, Sandlapper
1 member likes this
#633151 Jul 20th a 02:32 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Originally Posted by GMCS
If you want a pro level clays gun and got the cash look at Silver Seitz
Uh, no.
JR
1 member likes this
#633214 Jul 22nd a 11:15 AM
by Sandlapper
Sandlapper
Well, I went to Target Shotguns in Hendersonville, NC yesterday, and had a long talk with Steve and Matt there about the pros and cons of each top brand of target shotgun. After looking at their extensive inventory, I found a Kolar that fit me wonderfully right out of the gate. After looking at the way Kolar guns are built, I bought one of their Max-Lite 32" guns with upgraded wood and high gloss blue finish. They call it their ' midnight special'. Strangely, the gun weighs 8lbs.15 ozs., but doesn't feel as heavy as the Invictus 34" they had at 8lbs.6ozs. Must be the heavier receiver on the Kolar. Anyway, thanks to all for their input on this topic. It has been very informative. Regards, Sandlapper
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.