May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (fullandfuller, KDGJ, Argo44, prairie ghost, LGF, Perry M. Kissam), 640 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,634
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
graybeardtmm3, ithaca1, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#628954 04/20/2023 5:36 PM
by Tamid
Tamid
Just reading the info on Parkers on another thread and it says chamber length 2 5/8 and shell 2 3/4. Why would they not have chambered to 2 3/4 so to avoid the 1/8 of the shell in the forcing cone? I know the 2 5/8 chambering came into existence before 2 3/4 shells were standardized but that should have been by 1910. Thereafter I would have expected chambers to be 2 3/4.
Liked Replies
#628999 Apr 21st a 04:04 PM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Accommodate Ed? Why would removing extra metal, in the exact place chamber pressures are greatest, make things better when you could just use the right shells? Do not forget our factory shell can run up to 11,500 which is a 1,000 psi above the service pressure for the gun you just reamed more metal out of the chambers. And guns made for 1900 ammo were not designed for modern SAAMI pressures that came out 20-50 years later.

Stop trying to blur the lines. Modern shells can have too high pressures for safe use in vintage guns. And our shell makers never share pressure data and are not going to held responsible for any damage that those shells cause. They will claim they passed SAAMI pressure standards. It always comes back to using shells with the right pressure for what the gun was designed to shoot. Built to a standard, built to handle the loads for that era, not built for future loads based on the chamber length basis.

Your constant attempt to say ammo ought to be OK is a bad thing. People searching for information might grab onto your post and decide that WallyWorld ammo is fine and shoot it in a gun designed for ammo at 2/3 that pressure. Will it fail? I do not know. But I do know if it does fail, major injury could result. Not that long ago K-80's were blowing up and they had 3" chambers from the factory. Not safe with the ammo they were using because they blew up. But that was factory ammo, 2 3/4" factory ammo. Chamber length and pressures all seemed fine but the little issue of failure ruined a few people's day. If you are shooting a proofed gun like a British 2 1/2" gun use proper ammo. Do not ream out the chambers for convenience or thinking longer chambers can handle more pressure. Most 3" gun barrels are built thicker in the camber areas. Making a chamber longer will not add extra metal to the outside of the barrel.
3 members like this
#628964 Apr 20th a 08:10 PM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Shortening chambers was common to give a better gas seal with fiber wads and paper hulls. Plastic wads seal so much better that we fail to understand why short chambers were done. Improved patterns and less gas blow by. Trap shooters were almost obsessed with it. I am sure live bird shooters would be interested in anything that could give them an edge. But I understand they went after longer chambers to allow for more and better wadding.
1 member likes this
#628955 Apr 20th a 05:57 PM
by playing hooky
playing hooky
Not sure where I read this, probably on this forum. As I understand it, in the days before the development of modern plastic one-piece wads with shotcup and an effective gas seal, making the chambers a bit shorter than the length of the fired shell was done deliberately as it was thought that having the end of the hull forced tightly against the inside of the forcing cone helped ballistics by preventing escape of gas around the shot column, since the card or fiber wads did not produce a very good seal.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.