May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Bill Palmer, Stanton Hillis, fullandfuller, Southern Sport), 676 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,634
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, earlyriser, Ghostrider, Hoot4570, John Roberts, Karl Graebner, mc, Parabola, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#625175 01/20/2023 4:48 AM
by Tamid
Tamid
A good friend of mine who works for Real Avid had this on display at his booth at the Shot Show today. Very well thought out and quite versatile. There are interchangeable jaws with different materials and ways of hooking flex cable with lights and magnifiers to the base. My first thought was I can forget about building a checkering cradle as this does it all. The ball head locks up real tight but there is a drag on it that allows centering, levelling and rotation. It has many other options that I won't go into here. This is not meant to be a plug for the product just thought it might interest many of the forum members.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Liked Replies
#625206 Jan 21st a 04:37 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
I've been guilty of "new gun vice" many many times...
JR
3 members like this
#625193 Jan 21st a 02:22 AM
by Newton 1131
Newton 1131
I fail to see how this contraption could replace a Checkering cradle? This set up is very well thought out for marketing and sales, “ Does it all” but really is nothing new. Take your 300 bucks and buy a Wilton, or at least a good start on one. If you really want one of these, wait a few months an they will be clogging the E-bay pages for a buy now of $15 OBO.
2 members like this
#625231 Jan 23rd a 01:23 AM
by Tamid
Tamid
It's not the be all end all vice. It is aluminum and is a middle ground vice. If you're looking for a heavy duty tool this isn't it. However it does lock up very tight, doesn't seem springy with a double shotgun in its teeth so it will serve the every day uses like cleaning, putting on a scope, and other small to medium jobs. I do agree however that some of the plastic will most likely break at some time and then I'll be cursing trying to find a replacement.
2 members like this
#625233 Jan 23rd a 02:22 AM
by prairie ghost
prairie ghost
A vice brings bad visions to my mind for what this might be used for; a vise, well a different story. Looks a little light weight for most gun work. Bigger is better.
2 members like this
#625179 Jan 20th a 03:26 PM
by Tamid
Tamid
Suggested MRSP $300. Yes its not made for real heavy gun work but it is very sturdy. The demo had an AR mounted on it and it seemed very sturdy although I didn't crank it around to see just how sturdy. I'm not sure of construction metal. Seems to be steel but I need a magnet to check and don't have one with me.
1 member likes this
#625217 Jan 22nd a 03:01 AM
by Tamid
Tamid
You guy's first response it to sh#t on everything. No wonder this site is hardly what is once was. If that's the everyday first response you guys give, glad I don't live close to you.
1 member likes this
#625177 Jan 20th a 01:25 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Just my opinion based on the pictures, but I have serious doubts it is strong enough and solid enough to fill my requirements for gun work. Looks to be made of cast aluminum, with a steel ball and socket pedestal. But, maybe it is heavier and more massive than it appears to be in the pics. Its advertised that it will handle 100 ft./lbs. of torque. That's not much. Might be fine for checkering but it's not enough for holding a fine action or set of barrels safely, IMO.

I have a small cast aluminum vise with a similar steel ball socket base for swiveling, and it is just not solid enough for most gun work. I have it mounted on a block of a 2 X 6, and when I do use it for tiny things I clamp the block into my big woodworking vise on the front of the workbench. But, when it comes to working on an action or set of barrels the big post vise always get the nod.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.