What would be the benefit of bickering about this?
There has been plenty already posted about why people use the payload they use.

I shoot .410 class in many tournaments every year following NSCA rules (2 1/2” and 1/2oz) whether required or not. I take limited game with the .410 because my first shot kill ratio is lower than shooting the 20 w/ 7/8 oz loads.

At my club (which has no presentations beyond 50 yds) the choice to shoot 3/4oz loads in 12 ga is either economy, recoil, or strength. Those are reasons I’ve heard people give, and see no reason not to believe them.

Lots of older guys say they can shoot more shooting the light loads.
I’m glad they come out to shoot. Whatever their chosen payload.
Certainly for me, cumulative recoil starts to effect me at about 150 rds or so.

I no longer do it, (FITASC requiring factory cartridges), but long ago I remember carefully analyzing the economics of shooting the light 12 gauge loads. Finding they took more powder to bring the light load up to speed, (can’t say what it’s like today) but l remember those light loads were actually more expensive per cartridge than the standard one oz.

Because both lead and powder are much more expensive today than they used to be, I don’t have a perfect knowledge of the economics any longer. Primers and wads being approximately the same cost across load sizes. Perhaps the economics have reversed. IDK.

For me, if you are getting out and enjoying the shooting sports, I care little about payload.