While I had owned a Stoeger double I used for cowboy shooting, I didn't really start down the SxS path until I bought an I. Hollis 10 gauge hammer double at some very low prices at an Amoskeag auction. Even with the I. Hollis not remotely a "best" gun, I still found the workmanship far, far beyond the Stoeger. Since then I've bought more SxS, both hammer & side lock, from dedicated gun auction houses, as well as many of the less expensive books about the British SxS's. I doubt I have the budget many of you have, but I've managed to acquire some decent British SxS's, a FN 1930 and a Darne clone in the world's ugliest stock.

I don't hunt, so the SxS's mostly get used for skeet or occasionally sporting clays. I've been shooting a hammered British SxS (J. Burrows) regularly for skeet for years now and this has encouraged several of the skeet shooters to either buy a SxS or dig one out from the back of the safe. They all seem to enjoy shooting their SxS more than their O/U's and I even managed get one to go the Rock Mountain SxS sporting clays match.

Skeet and sporting clays allows me an opportunity to enjoy shooting these wonderful old guns, an enjoyment I doubt I would feel shooting an O/U or semi-auto