I quite agree. The .300 Smooth is almost certainly a smoothed out .300 rifle. It is a Martini action model with no maker's name. I have it 'off certificate' as the law here accepts that if ammunition is not readily obtainable and it is not intended for use then it can be held as an antique. I did make a handful of .300 shot cartridges to test it out. A small drinks can the size of a rat was well peppered at around 10 feet. No one makes ammunition for .300 Rook any more, either bulleted or shot, but I did manage to get hold of quite a bit of old Eley and Kynoch ammunition. I have another .300 Rook rifle on my firearms certificate and I do use that one. A nice, and unusual, gun in that it is a side by side with one barrel rifled and the other .410 shotgun; a sort of miniature 'Cape Rifle'. I did have a .360 No.5 Rook rifle that I made ammo for using .38 S & W Special cases. Sadly that got sold in order to finance something else.

.22 Shot cartridges are still made and easy to obtain here in the brass crimped type. I have quite a few of the old paper stuff but they are now collector's items. The only .22 smoothbore I have is a Webley & Scott bolt action gun that was made as a shotgun and not a bored out rifle. I sometimes take it to despatch small animals in live cage traps or the odd garden rodent. Rook rifles now fetch good prices here in view of their Antique status.

I don't know if you are aware of the book; The Classic British Rook & Rabbit Rifle' by Colin Greenwood published by Crowood in 2006 ISBN-10 1 86126 880 7 or ISBN-13 978 1 86126 880 8. Quite interesting. Lagopus.....