May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jimmy W, David Williamson, Hammergun, buckstix, coosa, 1 invisible), 698 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,610
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I picked up a low wall in a trade knowing it had been rebarreled in a nice looking 26" octagon 25-20 WCF barrel and a decent replacement forearm but since I got it home in better light it looks like the serial number has been forged. Does It looks a little off? What do y'all think?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it has been "refreshed" with a vibrating pen. The serial numbers on these winchesters are notoriously lightly struck and there is a lot of wear that happens right at that point. It is a very dumb place to put a serial number anyway since tangs are often swapped (is your tang original to the gun?). So, my guess is someone wanted it be be a bit more easily seen and they went over it with the etching pen.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice looking barrel, but it's not Winchester...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
I think it has been "refreshed" with a vibrating pen. The serial numbers on these winchesters are notoriously lightly struck and there is a lot of wear that happens right at that point. It is a very dumb place to put a serial number anyway since tangs are often swapped (is your tang original to the gun?). So, my guess is someone wanted it be be a bit more easily seen and they went over it with the etching pen.

Thanks, I looked at it a lot closer with a magnifying glass and you are absolutely right.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
Nice looking barrel, but it's not Winchester...

Thanks, it is a nice barrel but not a Winchester dangit. Anyway the bore is mint so maybe it will shoot straight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, I have one of those vibrating pens. I'm not in the habit of maiming my guns, so I use mine for a much more primitive purpose.

The hardstone hafted axes the indians used were made by a method called 'pecking and grinding'. That is, they would peck out the shape of the hafting area and then grind it down to where a handle could be fitted to it.

I use my vibrating pen to do the pecking and a sandstone to grind away the hafting area when I'm replicating the aboriginal tools...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Geo, when Atlatls are outlawed... only outlaws will have atlatls

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is the number stamped on the side of the breech block the caliber?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Winchesters are notoriously lacking in serial number markings beyond the lower tang. If by chance you ever find one with the serial number anywhere else, you've got a real rarity!
The barrel tulip looks like what Marlin used on Ballard rifles. Might be a completely new barrel, or maybe a Ballard donated it's barrel to your Winnie? If you pull the forearm wood and find a serial number on the bottom of the barrel that doesn't match your Win. it could be a Ballard barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sharps barrels can have similar tulip profiles. They might be large enough that they could be turned down to a Low wall shank diameter and rethreaded. But I would bet it is a "new" barrel.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.