Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This may not be appropriate for a forum on "fine firearms," but I've always wondered about it.

I know you can make a single shot rifle out of a decent (i.e. steel framed) single shot shotgun since I had once a Savage Model 220 16 guage hammerless single that had a wrecked bore and a gunsmith in upstate NYS lined it to the not-very-wildcat .35-30 for shooting cast bullets. Worked fine.

I have seen ads in "Rifle" and elsewhere for a DIY book on how to convert double shotguns to double rifles and have seen a few examples of those at gunshows (there's a DEE-luxe one in the May "Rifle" but it is beyond many of us to provide the original fine double let alone pay for the exacting work of making an extra set of .500 double rifle barrels for it!).

But is there anyone out there who, given a decent Savage 220 or 219 or other steel single and an extra barrel of the same model, would make the extra barrel into a monoblock and silver solder (or some other method) a Green Mountain or other maker's barrel blank in an appropriate caliber onto/into it for a modest hammerless stalking rifle/shotgun combo?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike A.
There are plenty rifles like that around. Virtually any gunsmith with a decent size lathe can do that job for you. It will be easier if you start with a .410 that has a small firing pin.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Savage 219 came in a number of rifle calibers, some of which came with a shotgun barrel as well. I owned a .30-30 for a while and seem to remember seeing a .22 Hornet. Not sure what other calibers might have been available. They turn up on line fairly frequently.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All it takes is money and they can be quite well done:

Julia Auction

Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, guys--I am encouraged. I have a .410 220 in nice shape and will try to find a ratty .410 barrel to use for the monobloc, then look around for a 'smith willing to do the job. Think I'll go for a .25-35, since I like the chambering and have the dies. If I can't find a .410 barrel to use, I'll look for a 20 or a 16 and find another forend iron for it (even I can make the wood part of the forend, but a .410 220 forend is best because it fits the rifle barrels without any changes).

Remington40X, they came in .30-30 (most common), .22 Hornet (pretty common), and .25-20 and .32-20 (NOT common), plus some other R&D chamberings (damn rare). I've had all of them but the .32-20 and .22 smoothbore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might consider having a good smith line the .410 barrel instead. It would probably be a much more routine and cost effective option. There are very good liners available, likely the equivalent of many after market barrels. The same smith could easily fiddle with the extractor and set the barrel up the way you want it for your favorite sights. I'd consider a decent trigger job.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
You might consider having a good smith line the .410 barrel instead. It would probably be a much more routine and cost effective option. There are very good liners available, likely the equivalent of many after market barrels. The same smith could easily fiddle with the extractor and set the barrel up the way you want it for your favorite sights. I'd consider a decent trigger job.

Having seen this done with a really nice old Belgian double hammer gun, I would go this route too except that I might have it done with barrels turned down (or ordered) to size rather than liners. I once had a hankering for a Dangerous Game Double Rabbit Rifle in .22lr. I still like that idea. So, I bought Graham's(?) book and studied it for a while, but never did move forward on it.

The guy that did the .22 set up some eccentrics so that he could regulate the double. The book discusses this too. It's not so simple as sliding in a liner and some glue. But it seems very doable (says he who does no machining).

A .22 double built on a .410 - still sounds like heaven to me. Something that would be shot a whole bunch and really enjoyed. I need to revisit this.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yeah, Craig, I will consider that, too. But I might like my new single barrel to be octagon, and that is easier with the method mentioned earlier.

I've used a Green Mountain octagon .25-20 blank on a takedown Martini and was very pleased with the appearance and balance achieved; just right for a light stalking rifle. A Savage 219 is even easier to take down than a Martini and a shotgun barrel that fits equally easily is a plus.

As an aside, I never understood why the old guys always made their "half-round" barrels start with an octagon section that required shaping the forend groove octagon, then went to a round barrel once it cleared the wood. A lot easier to do it the other way around, I've always thought, and the differential in balance still works out OK (heavier in back toward the action and hand).

I do know how to twiddle a Savage trigger into a decent pull. Not benchrest, but decent, thanks to Frank de Haas, RIP.

Last edited by Mike A.; 04/06/17 12:07 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a 'fine firearm' at all but there resides here what used to be an H&R Topper. The original 12ga barrel was chopped at the front of the lump and an octagon barrel sweated in chambered in .45-70. This was done by a friend of my brother who could never leave anything alone. He's sadly now gone home.

Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry to hear that: we could use more people who follow their desires and curiosity without regard to lawyers.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.