April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (ithaca1, battle, Hammergun, David Williamson, rtw, 1 invisible), 354 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,459
Posts544,984
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does using a side scope mount make it possible for a scope to be mounted and used, without having to grind the bolt handle or forging the bolt handle for clearance? This would be on a bolt handle style like those on a Pre-war Type B Mauser Sporter? THANKS Jerry

The Sons of Alvin Linden
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not necessarily. Altering the bolt handle will be determined by the positioning/size of the scope as with any mounting system.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some side mounts place the scope in a slightly or fully offset position, such as ones meant for the Krag or various Winchester lever actions. These mounts are fairly uncommon but still can be found.

Another possibility would be to use a scope that could be placed far enough forward so that its eyepiece lies just in front of the bolt handle. Some of the early scopes like the Lyman Alaskan and some of the smaller Weavers have enough eye relief to allow this.

Still another possibility would be to use rings mounted high enough so that the scope is actually positioned above the bolt handle. That would mean a VERY high scope position but it might work OK.

Food for thought.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had 3 scopes recently that were forward of the bolt handle. An Alaskan, a Noske, and a Leupold Plainsman. The Leupold is probably the easiest to find and is petty cool in the fact that it doesnt have turrets. The adjustment is accomplished with rings that rotate on the tube itself. I wonder why they didn't really catch on?

I've got a picture of a Winchester 54 Hornet I can email if someone will post it for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bsteele
The Leupold is probably the easiest to find and is petty cool in the fact that it doesnt have turrets. The adjustment is accomplished with rings that rotate on the tube itself. I wonder why they didn't really catch on?

Very likely because they would not hold adjustment well or could be easily knocked out of alinement.
Generally in the history of scopes, any odd type of adjustments have not been popular, no matter how good they might have been.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bsteele

I've got a picture of a Winchester 54 Hornet I can email if someone will post it for me.

Send it I'll post it.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Leupold Plainsman I have has locking rings that act as a double-nut arrangement to lock the adjustment rings. I think they work pretty well given the fact I couldnt get them loose with my fingers (insert faavorite sissy joke here). It may not be the best set-up, but it does give clean lines.

Michael will be along with a picture.

Sidelock
Sidelock

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

About as unobtrusive as a sicdemount can be.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.