March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jtplumb, JDH, craigd, JayCee, Gunning Bird, 1 invisible), 347 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,991
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have seen floorplates on high quality custom M1922 type rifles that conceal the magazine and release mechanism under the plate. Are these plates all fabricated by custom gunsmiths or is there a Springfield dimension floorplate that can be purchased from a custom gun parts supplier to do the same job? I have also seen the concealed magazine on custom Model 52 Winchesters.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The ones I have seen, and admittedly less than a dozen between both Springfields and M-52, were custom made for individual projects. The sole exception was some M-52 bottom metal by Blackburn that was reported to be part of a small run.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If anyone can help me with something for a 1922, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

eightbore, I've had reasonably good success in the past by cutting the magazine box off short and then silver-soldering it to the floorplate's inside surface. It takes some careful measuring, and IMO the TIG welding process would be better than silver-soldering, but I used what I had available. Hinged steel bottom metal for the 1903 is rare and costly when found, but I believe it might be possible to adapt an M70 straddle-type floorplate to the issue 1903 TG. Maybe. At any rate I have one and will be atempting it soon.
Good luck, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

IIRC, 1922 Springfield magazines are pretty scarce & costly items. I saw a polymer version at a gunshow, maybe last December in Reno. Not that anyone would put such a device on a custom rifle, but you might chop the plastic one up for your experiments before you saw up a real one.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the ideas so far. Joe, I'll be waiting to see how your project goes. Bill Murphy

Sidelock
Sidelock

While we are asking about Springfield bits, I would like to know if there is any modern commercial source for things like 03 speed lock kits with one piece firing pins and bolt shrouds with better gas shielding. Springfield Armory made the firing pins in the 1920's but I have never seen one. I have several of these actions, including two that are already rebarreled, but have never finished the projects because of concerns about the action's mechanical features. They are nice to look at, but it seems to me that everything they did to avoid the Mauser patents was a backward step functionally.

My M1922 sure is smooth though! Be careful about the magazines there are at least two different original types: the M1 seems to be different from the later M2 ones. I would have to dig them out and look, but I seem to recall that one is shorter, which might be useful...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yup, some seem to work better than others. It would be nice to have some discussion about why. Thanks for the comment.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The two magazines (M1 and M2) are slightly different. The old parts catalogs from the 50s & 60s differentiated between the two. And perhaps there were other variations, as collectors seem to recognize 3 or 4 variants in the rifles.

Last winter, our club had a series of 25-yard offhand matches for .22 rimfire rifles. My friend and I entered, he with a 1922M1 and I with an M2. We both tried to shoot a match using loaded magazines. We both had feeding problems and decided to shoot the remaining matches using the rifles as single shots. Both of us were using .22 match ammo, with slightly oversize bullets. Based on that, I would caution one to check the magazine for proper functioning before you went to a lot of work on a modification.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've purchased several splendid newly-made 1903 bolt sleeves with 3-position M70-style safety from Precise Metalsmithing Enterprises (James Wisner), but it's essentially the same basic design and uses the original issue striker nose. I possess all the tooling necessary to convert to an improved multi-piece design that not only is much safer but also greatly minimizes the lost motion and even repairs a broken striker nose at the same time; this alteration was detailed by Ludwig Olsen in an article in Rifle No 92, page 29. Unfortunately I'm not aware of anyone making a 1-piece striker for the 1903 today but they may be out there somewhere. Back in the '60s I ordered such a beast from an outfit in SoCal that promptly went bust after cashing my check, and I haven't seen anything like that since then.

I've owned 2 1922s, one issue w/8X Unertl and one that I sporterized. Both were more accurate than all other RFs I've owned except one 10/22 with Volquartsen bbl; either was a genuine sub-0.75-MOA performer at any range. I used a PME 3-position sleeve on the sporter and had 2 M2 mags with one stored under the butt trap. Of course it also had a band ramp front and Lyman 48 rear in addition to the Leupold scope & Canjar trigger. I ended up giving this one to my best friend.

There were indeed slight differences between the 2 mags (even though they were both marked the same) and one didn't feed quite right sometimes. I suggest on any conversion that you use a commonly-available magazine instead of an expensive original, especially since the first try may not work out so well (BG). You don't hafta ask how I know this...

I've never converted a 1922 to a hidden magazine but would imagine that it would be very practical & doable to use an original 1903 floorplate with some sort of available magazine attached to it, and actually not be required to make any alterations at all to the receiver or TG other than removal of the mag catch. Theoretically, of course (G).
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.