March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 876 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#483893 06/26/17 10:49 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

While on the topic of the recent Rock Island auction, I was a bit surprised at the price the 2 G&H rifles brought. I really like the Springfield, but the later rifle I would not expect to drive the price much.

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Griffin-Howe-98/36276941/LotDetail.asp?lid=36276941

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

John,
I really liked the short '03 G&H but also wondered what the Mauser might be worth. Their estimate was very low but the bidding started at twice the high est. Opened the butt trap on the '03 and it had a green cartridge wrapped in a ratty cloth and there was a 5 piece cleaning rod in there.
Look at lot 4362, it was another G&H that they didn't write up so I got it at a decent price. It is a very late gun made in or after 1977, I will get some photos to post. I just sent Fred some photos of another '03 that I got at the auction.
Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

The '03 was an interesting gun and I thought the the pair might make a nice contrast in styles between the 30's and 50's. I agree with John. It was rather amazing watching the numbers spiral up as I was watching on Proxibid. Looked like a $4 a gallon gas pump the way they spun up.

Great catch on lot 4362. I had it on my list and while it looked like a great gun from the pictures, it didn't strike me as prewar and the fact I need another Enfield magnum like a hole in the head kept me from bidding. Another one of the handicaps of not having eyes on.

Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sounds like you had a successful trip Dan. I almost drove up, but decided against it. Another that caught my eye was 4357. A Winchester 54 Hornet that appears to be a G&H restyle with a cheek piece added.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi,

I am back from a family reunion and my Dad's 85th birthday celebration. Here are the pictures Dan sent.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Always surprises me when I see gun stocks with inletted presentation plates, and how many never get any names or initials on them? Seems a shame that an owner buys such a fine gun, but never personalizes it. Sure would add to it's provenance if they had!

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is an interesting G&H with a different G&H #, 2650 - 17. Bob Beach says that in 1977 they decided to make a run of '03s with # 2650 - 1 to 50 but he doesn't think they made all 50 of them and is not sure how many years it took to make them. The presentation plate does have some initials on it. They used Lyman 57, Neidner BP, Timney trigger, a neat M70 type safety and shroud and a military barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Griffin and Howe has a similar Springfield Sporter, Serial Number 2650-16, in 7x57, for sale on their web site. It is listed as new with a 2015 manufacture date. It does not have a receiver sight fitted, just an open sight. Photos on the site show many of the details.

Seems like a lot less than 50 were made if this one was numbered in sequence.

Asking price is slightly over $17,000.

It is available for inspection in the Griffin and Howe Gun Room at Hudson Farms, Andover, NJ if anyone would like to look at it. I saw it this afternoon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is my old beat up G&H Springfield, pre-War but updated at some point with an altered bolt handle and low mounted scope. The cutout for the Model 2 Lyman 48 is the giveaway, together with the serial number. I bought it in the condition it now is in, but never wanted to have it refinished, preferring to keep it as a hunting gun I was not afraid to take out in the woods, unlike others I have owned.

When I bought it, it had only the base for the scope mount, to which I added the rings, slide and scope, a 4X Lyman All American Perma Center. It already had the White Line recoil pad when acquired.

My first G&H rifle, after being restored by G&H and replacing the missing scope, rings and slide (especially difficult with an early single lever mount.)

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.