March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Dan S. W., Sandlapper, 1 invisible), 722 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#481296 05/23/17 02:12 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/1029/2334/unknown-single-shot#detail

I have no interest in this rifle, just have a question for the single shot experts. Rock Island is calling this a 44 1/2 in .224 Clark. My understanding is that the .224 Clark is a 257 Roberts necked down to 22 and designed to use very heavy bullets for hunting deer sized game. Wouldn't this be a bit much for the 44 1/2 action?

Not my cup of tea, but the carving looks better than average we well.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since that caliber is a handloader's cartridge, it should be fine for those smart enough to know the 44 1/2's limitations. If it was a caliber that factory loads were available, then one needs to be careful. But since nothing can be purchased over the counter, the owner needs to simply load for the strength of that action.
It is a very nicely done stock, but I'd probably strip the blue off the receiver and have it cased if I owned the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I own CPA rifles, modern interpretation of the Stevens 44 with some changes to make them more capable. Bushed firing pin, gas escape hole bottom of the breech block. Bit wider action allows larger barrel shank, and modern steel. Originals dont have any of the upgrades. They are Switch barrels and one of my guns has had a 219 Zipper barrel and now carries a 25 Kraig and a 30 Kraig. Either case can be loaded pretty hot if you so desire.

Action design is strong block rocks on closing which cams in cases well, but has limitations. The CPA, Wider and better steel is a big improvement over original Stevens which were known for soft metal. Any single shot is not going to extract as well as a bolt action, not as much leverage . If a case lets go the block hole will help but gas is going to escape between the block & barrel. Case head is not captured within the action like a bolt gun. The 44 action was one of the first to be wildcatted with necked down 30 Kraig, was probably the first action chambered for the 25 Kraig. Lot done way back when thats not safe todays thinking. I think its about 2nd in strength to a Winchester High Wall, but not a close 2nd. Even with my upgraded actions I dont push the 25 or 30 Kraig cases much at all. You could do the same with a wildcatted original load it light.

2nd Barrel for original 44 is fairly inexpensive and easy to obtain from CPA rifles in many calibers. I dont think the Clark is suitable for it though. If you think the gun is nice buy it and get a modest cartridge new barrel. 1500 with the scope it would be well bought. CPA list all suitable cartridges on their web site, figure little over 600 for a 2nd barrel. 44 1/2 works well with 30/30 case head cartridges. This all opinion somebody else may have a different one.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 05/23/17 06:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

AND I have a set of dies for the 224 Clark smile

And since it is a schuetzen gun I would suggest a cast bullet
breech seat gun made for .224 CAST heavy bullets and low chamber pressure.

No high pressure, high speed jacketed bullet loads here smile

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 05/23/17 06:11 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Boats, do you really think the 44 1/2 is stronger than a Hepburn, or a Sharps '74? I personally would put the 1885 High Wall, Sharps '74, and Hepburn, all above the 44 1/2 in strength.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well it is my opinion, not any established fact. I probably should have said suitable for modern high pressure cartridges not strength. No doubt about it the 1885 Winchester is the strongest and most suitable for conversion to modern cartridges. The Sharps has a lot of metal for sure but vertical sliding breech block design and firing pin don't lend themselves to varmint rifle calibers. Hepburn is a good design for straight wall cases but the vertical sliding block does not cam and my opinion they don't extract well either. It's probably plenty strong. You hardly ever see Sharps or Hepburn's in Varmint conversions. You do see a lot of High Walls and 44 1/2's converted.

The 44 1/2 is the most modern American single shot action design, 1907, and Incorporated improvements on the older designed actions. It's weak point is the metal and built for 38/55 case head cartridges. Stay with something on that basic case it's a very good Acton. Exception the 1885 none of the single shot actions are as strong as most bolt guns and including the 1885 don't handle escaping gas well at all. They are all good shooters if you understand the limitations and keep the pressure reasonable.

Boats

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the information. I have no intentions to bid on the rifle, just thought it was an odd combination. There are a few other lots in the auction worthy of a look for those interested in classic sporting rifles.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

IMHO, I think that this is the original Stevens barrel, lined and set back several inches and a new forend. The rifle is most likely a model 47.
I also think that this is the original butt stock and the carving is more likely a tracing with a combination of light carving/stamping and wood burning. The deer design I have seen before. If memory serves me right, Brownell's had stuff like this in their catalog in the 1970's.
You can really see the effects of the hot blue turning the lever casting purple.
That being said, I would still buy it as a parts gun if it was priced right. I've always been a sucker for every "silk purse" hiding in that "sow's ear".

Sidelock
Sidelock

It could be a nice rifle if reworked. That carving offends my eye. Might be able to sand it out. The Fecker would sell for 400 to 500. 44 1/2 actions about 600. Considering the stock shape it would be very unpleasant to shoot as chambered. Could possibly cut back again and chamber for the Hornet. Easiest thing to do would be re barrel to what ever caliber suits the buyer.

Not for me though I sold all my original single shots, only shoot the CPA reproductions . Trouble free and plenty strong.

Boats

Sidelock
Sidelock

I could live with the carving easier than the blued receiver! That purple effect that hot bluing over cased metal gets is fugly! They have it listed as "professionally refinished". Wonder what "professional" decided to hot blue it, instead of casehardening it?

Last edited by Vall; 05/24/17 08:46 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.