April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Skeeterbd, Stanton Hillis, earlyriser, Jeremy Pearce, 2 invisible), 866 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#468782 01/11/17 07:36 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have been fiddling away at this project for a little while and I figured I had enough material to post on it.

I picked up this gun back in September at an auction for the Bill Swarts estate. Bill was the barrel man and partner in the old Lefever Arms gunsmithing operation in Lee Center, NY. Bill had passed early last year (2016). In the auction was a lot of tools and parts as well as about 30 guns. I was not really looking to buy any guns at the auction, more the parts. But this one gun caught my eye. It was an unfinished project of Bill's. A double rifle built on a German 20g. ejector action. I assume the action was made by Sauer for a cottage maker. I had no idea what the caliber of the rifle was, but it looked to be .25 or .30cal just by looking at it. I ended up buying the gun for next to nothing since there was not really any other interest in it.

These photos show the condition of the gun as bought. There was a large muzzle spacer and blocky quarter rib with separate "hollow" rib in between and on bottom. The scope was affixed to the top of the rib and was not removable and obviously he never intended on having open sights on it. The tubes were rough turned still with everything soldered together. The extractors were built and the gun was finish chambered. I cast the chambers and ID'ed it as the common 30-30 Win. Not the most common choice for most double rifle builds, but great for North American hunting. And good because of the availability of shells for it.

I took the gun out and proofed it with some 45,000 psi hand loads and all went well. Then I shot it with some factory 170gr. big game loads and it was shooting all screwed up. About 8" apart at 50 yds and 14" apart at 100 yds. I would like to think that Bill regulated it, but i had no way of knowing for what since he was long passed.
I did not like the top rib setup on the barrels, so I figured since I was going to replace it anyway, it was not a big deal to re-regulate them. I knew the late Bob Hynden relatively well, so I conversed with him on the project and also bought a 24" 1pc. top rib from him for the gun.
I left the separate quarter rib on the barrels and removed everything else. This way I could do my regulation with the 4x scope that was on the gun. This helped a lot!
After some trips to the range and changing out the muzzle spacer after each firing, I got it dialed in nicely. See here the photos of 50 and 100yd targets.

I then installed a new lower rib to the barrel set once regulation was set. The new top rib is next to it.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I went to work striking down the rough turned barrels and getting them evened out so that there is no waviness in them when looking down the barrel set. This was much more easily done without the top rib on it. I also installed an additional block in-between the tubes for additional support in affixing a screw-on sling swivel mount.

I then started doing some initial machining on the top rib. I brought the quarter rib down to near level with the existing rib extension on the barrels. And did some profiling work on the front ramp to make it more attractive.
I will end up machining the quarter rib to directly accept a set of talley rings. And use a rear express sight as the recoil lug for them. Like Mr. Hynden liked to do. The photo below shows the initial mockup with a Leupold 1-4. But I am going to end up going with a Redfield Widefield 1-3/4 - 5x.

In it's current mocked up state with the Redfield scope it weighs 9 lbs. Not sure if there is any way to get the weight down any more than that. But that is not bad in my mind. I will end up restocking the gun and completely go over all finishes when said and done. Next task is finishing the machining of the top rib and get it soldered on.

Thanks for looking. I will update this thread as I can.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sweet !
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like it! Looking forward to updates.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That looks like a great little deer blaster! Nice job.

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow Dudley!!! Well done sir!

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a great gun in one of my favorite chamberings.
What a great project, I wish I had anything close to the level of skill this took.
I will just have to stick with swamps.

Swampman

Sidelock
Sidelock

B. Dudley,
This project shows great work, as do your other projects, and I am happy you decided to show it to us. I look forward to seeing it completed.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for showing the project, and boy does that look like a nice shooter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian, very interesting! I have a J.P.Sauer & Sohns model 12 Buchsflinte. I have the Krupp 16 ga barrel set, but the 16/9.3x74R barrel set is missing.Is it possible to make the missing set? If you would like to discuss, Email me. Not looking for a quick turn around but a few year project.
Best,
Craig

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.