March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#355449 01/29/14 03:02 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ok, now that I found the photobucket from 2006, here's the DR I built. Now I know why DRs cost so much. Merkel original stock, with some cleanup/finish. 350 gr RN at 2350 fps is the regulation load, and doesn't stretch cases.

hippie redneck geezer
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Assembly:
Before soldering/brazing, parts laid in place.
Ruger scope notches/dovetails later cut into quarter rib.
45-100 case next to a 45-70
sling swivel block is silver brazed to both barrels, front sight block brazed to rt. barrel only

Last edited by xs hedspace; 01/30/14 12:33 PM.

hippie redneck geezer
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentleman's carry case:
Oh, and thanks to Mr. Ellis Brown for the great book on how to build this.

Last edited by xs hedspace; 02/04/14 11:53 AM.

hippie redneck geezer
Boxlock
Boxlock

Nice job!!, and Ellis is the man for his book..I am having a 45-120 built this summer by another smith. You will find many don't like these American calibers, but it is supposed to be fun and interesting. If its not, stay home

Pro Deo et Pro Patria
Sidelock
Sidelock

A very nice project gun indeed! I appreciate your putting on the Merkel method of barrel adjustment, I had asked a question about this very thing on another site and did not get even one satisfactory answer. I also am very impressed with your molded to-fit-gun case. Did you do that work yourself and what is the base that was used,was it dense foam?
Have you noticed any shifting of the points of impact during temperature changes or when the barrels get hot? Thanks again for sharing this great gun with us. I am getting ready to build a 45-120 on a Merkel frame. I may need some good advice from you. birdhunter56

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The case has dense foam insulation board, from a roof insulation job, with green felt glued with craft glue, also dyed green with food dye, so bleed thru doesn't show. Won a turkey at a local gun club running deer event, two shots as the deer target rolled down the wire. Also holds the club record for the fastest two shots, another time as my finger slipped to the second trigger--second shot into the trees--no turkey that time.

hippie redneck geezer

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.