March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, L. Brown), 864 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
sbs Offline OP
OP Offline

In August of this year I began buidling a side by side rifle using a LC Smith 16 Ga, FW frame. While the LC Smith is not the preferred choice of actions I'm at a point where I hope some of the more enlightened ones on this forum may help. I have fitted the rifle barrels to the monobloc made from the existing shotgun barrels, I have turned them down, and have a finished length of 26 inches. They are chambered for 30-30 Win and the extractor is completely fitted. I fitted a bushing at the end of breech end to give a finished look. I have also bushed the firing pins. I intend to use factory ammo, Reminton 170 grain Core-lock. The question I have is the proofing process. I assume that simply running a few rounds through the gun does not a proofed gun make. I have fabricated a jig to fire the barreled action from while I am a safe distance away. I have read about measuring the action before and after shooting the gun. What would be the keys points to take measurements from? I assume that this is the point to began proofing. It appears that proofing involves testing with ammo that exceeds the norm? Any suggestions are surely welcomed.
Mark

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

have you bushed your firing pins yet? Bushing the pins is a must. The Smith would not be my choice for these kind of pressures....I would want to be a longway behind that test fire jig. If the action and lock up hold to your test firing you should be able to tell if has been affected by examining the lock up to be sure that nothing has loosened. I know shot gun bores are usually measured before and after proofing...I don't think that the barrels themselves are your weak spot. I would be concerned with the locking system most of all on this project. If I personally was going to convert a smith to a rifle, it would be a rifled 20 ga shotgun, much lower pressures and about the same power as a 30-30. Good luck and be very, very careful.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,

You need to have loads of a known pressure, usually 30% more than the SAAMI limit. These are sometimes called "Blue pills". They are not for sale to the general public. You can send the gun to Birmingham or Liege and have them proof it for a fee.

Make sure there is a solid wall in between the gun and the tester.

Measurements are taken with instruments that have been calibrated and certified to assure accuracy.

Here is a thread on the subject that you may find helpful.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....=&fpart=all

sbs Offline OP
OP Offline

Steve, yes the firing pins have been bushed. I promise to be well protected when the hammer falls, thanks for your info. After I began the project I researched the preferred actions however I am approaching this from the standpoint of learning what to do and what not to do. It is such a shame though, ain't nothing like a sidelock double in your hands. JMHO.

PeteM, thanks for the info and website.

mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

sbs,
How's the project coming along?

Boxlock
Boxlock

Don't do a proof load. Just shoot it several times with a maximum load, with your jig, and check for defects. Then, take normal precautions with regular loads, such as eye protection or a face mask and heavy coat, until you are confident that the gun is safe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do not do a proof load?

That's bad advice at best.
Steve do you have something against Mark?

Mark, would you consider shooting your project conversion job without having shot a series of proof loads?

Be careful with that thing...

--Tinker

Hello all, leadsinger and sbs we are all one in the same, long story, anyway I have been consumed with the terminal illness of my father so I'll be brief. The project is proceeding slowly. I have fitted the forearm lug and handfitting the quarter rib. The proofing has not begun at this point. I assure all that i will proof in some fashion. That proofing will take place with my body being a sizeable distance from the point of firing. This project as previously mentioned is designed to provide facts about what to do and more importantly what not to do. I have plans of writing a book to that end. I believe that purchasing a factory side by side rifle is by far the safest route for any of us to take, however I desire to hold a side by side rifle in my hands that I had a part in building. Having said that I want to hold it in both hands with all ten fingers attached. Thanks for the interest and I will try to do a better job of posting regularly. I live in the sticks and have only dial up service so loading pictures is a challenge. Please let me know if you feel their might be any interest in such a book.

Thanks
Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you aware that there already is such a book?

Boxlock
Boxlock

lc smith convertions are nothing new. Frankly I consider the actions to be extremely strong.People are still driving modern loads through lc,s and i rarely see a loose one.Dixie gun catalog listed a damascus 20 ga with 45-70 inserts done in the 50s by a notable gun smith.The nitro double rifle sold quickly.But when shooting anthing ! in doubt, use all precautions possible, oh ? I thought all lcs were already bushed.

Last edited by 3978; 12/22/06 08:38 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.