March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 295 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#487218 08/05/17 09:10 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am curious what brand of cold blue do you recommend for touch up. Also what procedure do you use.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Be sure it is Cold Blue that you want. It is better to touch-up Rust Blue using weaker solutions (slow build-up, repeated applications) and then steaming over a pot on the stove with a foil funnel. (Or other steam source) This goes double for Damascus and Twist tubes.

Cold blue usually has Copper Sulfate in it, it actually leaves a coating. It's your decision, Oxpho-Blue from Brownell's is my choice, available in both liquid or paste.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 08/05/17 06:50 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Ken61 about Oxpho-Blue.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brownell's Oxpho-blue.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oxpho is really the best cold blue out there. The trick to any cold blue is making sure the surface is CLEAN befor every application.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another point about methodology. If using liquid, never stick a used swab/brush, etc. back into the bottle. I always pour a small amount out to dip into. It contaminates very easily.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the information. Oxpho-blue seems to be unamamusly recommended. I see there is also 4440 advertised.

What rust blue do you recommend, also Ken you stated a weaker solution?
Do you delute with distilled water? Applying multiplecoats before steaming, then card off with fine steel wool?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: B. Dudley
The trick to any cold blue is making sure the surface is CLEAN befor every application.

After cleaning as well as you can make a paste of lime & a bit of water, agricultural or builders lime will do.
Apply this paste to the surface & leave for a few hrs then clean off. That will suck up every last trace of oil.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ghostrider

What rust blue do you recommend, also Ken you stated a weaker solution?
Do you delute with distilled water? Applying multiplecoats before steaming, then card off with fine steel wool?

First, a few points/questions. What are we "touching up"? Is it a small piece like a trigger guard? Is it a barrel? If a barrel, is it fluid steel or Damascus?

I make my own solutions, but I'm sure others here buy theirs, so I'm sure they can offer recommendations. Many are Aqua Regia type solutions that work fine, with care.

For tubes, the judgement call comes when trying to match dilution with existing coloring, as it's better to start weaker than stronger, as it's harder to blend a darker spot into lighter background. Application needs to be fairly precise, with little bleed-over which would darken lighter backgrounds. I use pointed swabs (make-up applicators) and small artists brushes. Sometimes I allow it to rust a few hours, other times I steam fairly quickly, all depending on darkness of background color. One application, then a steaming/carding. It's better to err on the side of lightness, as you can always repeat the process with stronger solution. If Damascus, you have to periodically have a light vinegar spot-etch, a very tricky business. At the end it's a process of blending, not only with Steel Wool, but with pumice paste on the end of a swab if necessary. Chalk paste makes a good final polish, but at that point it's a judgement call.

Cold Blue, in my experience, (which may differ from others) doesn't work on Damascus or Twist because you can't etch it to bring out contrast. If anyone has been successful, please post your results/procedures.

Yes, distilled or filtered rain water is used for dilution.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 08/06/17 07:42 AM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am just touching up a few worn trigger guards and screws. Possibly a few nicks and thin spots on barrels. Thanks for sharing.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.