April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, Parabola, Roundsworth, Ian Forrester, skeettx, 1 invisible), 1,053 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,717
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi there,

Acquired my grandfathers LC FW Field 12GA. In VERY tough shape but it was my grandfathers so it will hold a treasured spot alongside the Parkers in my safe.

So, to be 'safe' someone took out and lost the firing pins! I bought two new ones from Galazan however they do not 'just slide in.'

Sorry to be so naive, but is there a common best practice to fitting these? Note, this firearm does not have the firing pin access from the breach, only from inside the sidelock.

I was thinking that these pins might dimensionally be a bit too big from a diameter perspective. Maybe have to mount in a drill and lightly sand down a .0001 or so in order to get to fit.

Anyway, any help much appreciated here in order to keep this old lady in the field.

Tx,

Garrett

Parkers, LC Smiths etc...
Sidelock
Sidelock

First off, take a minute to do an e-bay search for L.C. Smith firing pins. You will see that there were several different styles made. I'm not home now, and do not have access to my Lt. Col. William Brophy "L.C. Smith Shotguns" or "Plans and Specifications of the L.C. Smith Shotgun" books to see if there is information as to which style firing pin is appropriate for which guns. I only know that I have encountered the different types when I disassembled them.

I replaced a couple some years ago that were mushroomed over the ends from dry firing, but I used original firing pins that I found at gun shows. I think you first need to determine which type of firing pin is correct, or whether they are interchangeable. It would not be surprising to find that minor hand fitting is required, especially adjusting the length for firing pin protrusion.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Fair points Keith. At the time I trusted Galazan to provide the pins. I have the Brophy book and will dig in a bit more into what the proper pins are! I bought my pins years ago and I'm just now picking this project gun back up.

Tx!

Parkers, LC Smiths etc...
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Hello gman1001
Welcome to the site on your first postings

Please look here

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/lc-smith/new-mdl-hmrls-lcs?page=3

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 01/26/18 09:26 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.