March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was checking out this article at Garden & Gun:

Make Mine a Double

In it, the author mentions this store about Emile Flues:

"Flues moved to Buffalo, New York, and became widely known for fine engraving and inlays of gold and silver. Buffalo Bill bought one of his pistols, as did the cowboy actor Tom Mix. In 1922, Haile Selassie, the future emperor of Ethiopia, the Lion of Judah, visited Flues to pick up a gun he had commissioned at a cost of three thousand dollars. "

Is there any truth to this at all? It smells very funky to me.

First of all, it appears Haile Selassie didn't travel to the U.S. until the early 1950s:

Haile Selassie in America

Second, I think this is the author's source for this info:

Emile Flues info from Ancestry.com

Older remembers may recognize the person who posted the info on Ancestry.com. He was quite the story teller.

So does anyone know if there's some truth to the Flues-Selassie story?

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 07/11/17 06:55 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

He knew a lot of information about Emil Flues. I wouldn't discount it right off the bat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The part about Silassie could very well be legit.
I have a picture in my files that I copied from the Interweb that shows Silassie, his wife, and another man posing in their royal dress with various rifles, Silassie has a large bore bolt action rifle and his wife has a very nice big bore double rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would second Mr. Treblig's comments about Mr. Chambers. He was no friend of mine but I respected his knowledge of Emile Flues.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree Cary. smile

He was no friend of a lot of people on this board.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In 1922, Haile Selassie would have been Crown Prince and Regent--head of government--of Ethiopia. His movement and travels would have been public record, and he would have traveled, even unofficially, with fanfare and first class accommodations. This account of his foreign travels during his regency says nothing about a trip to the USA in the 20s https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haile_Selassie#Travel_abroad

The idea of HS traveling to upstate New York in a freight car under segregated conditions to pick up a shotgun with no record outside a family tradition strikes me as a bit far-fetched. He was not a guy known for his humility. On the other hand, he had the wealth and opportunity to buy the best guns in the world. It's perfectly plausible that he ordered a gun from Flues and sent someone to fetch it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Urban myth. I would more expect he would have ordered from Londons best not an obscure experimental maker located in the backwaters of upstate New York. HS had not only an ego that was oversized but he would have been expected to keep up appearances for domestic considerations. His status was very much up in the air st this time so leaving the country was unlikely. Once out of the country the Queen of Kings would not have allowed him to return. She had forced out his cousin who had been desiganated as the next King of Kings by the late King of Kings. He was deemed too progressive by the conservatives. She was much more consertive and much more religious than HS was and had firm backing of a majority of the royal line and ruling class.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looks like April - May 2017

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert could be prickly but I interacted with him a bunch on the old DarneUSA forum and always found him to be polite and a fountain of information. I never had a problem with him.

And I think his information was pretty good. At least on the subjects I covered with him...primarily French guns.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Robert could be prickly but I interacted with him a bunch on the old DarneUSA forum and always found him to be polite and a fountain of information. I never had a problem with him.

And I think his information was pretty good. At least on the subjects I covered with him...primarily French guns.

His information in regards to Darne guns sucked. He was of the opinion that any sliding breech gun was a Darne product, including Charlins. He posted early Francisque Darne catalogs and patents and claimed they were Regis Darne items. He had a restocked clone that he was convinced was a valuable and rare Darne gun. He couldn't read French, but, put photos of French gun catalogs out claiming they proved something they mostly didn't.
He also claimed, like Steve Martin, in "The Jerk", to have been born a poor black child. He played that for a time, also.
He was a jerk.

If he knew something about anything, you couldn't prove it to me from here.

I think the notion of the king of the Rastafarians leaving Ethiopia, circa 1922, seems far fetched, at best. The fact that old Chamber Pot believed it happened (I wish I could remember who gave him that title, to give them proper credit) only proves irony can indeed smell just like BS.

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.