March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (trw999), 852 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Every Fall I stop and think back to memories of my youth and how things are changed. We all have hundreds of them. Three stuck out in my mind yesterday. The smell of Red Dot powder, smoke coming out of a freshly fired paper hull. The taste of eating a purple top turnip, freshly pulled from the field, dirt mostly wiped off, still cool from the early frost while trailing a young pointer. The sound of wings in the marsh about ten minutes before first light. It sounds like every duck in the World is trying too find a safe place to land before shooting time. What a sound.

Plastic shells just don't smell the same to me even when loaded with Red Dot. I have not seen a patch of turnips, planted after corn in 40 years. And sad to say while the ducks may still fly before first light my hearing is not what it use to be. I can still hear them but they don't sound like feathered jet engines making my heart race like their wings.

What are your three best memories?

Sidelock
Sidelock

My young brother took me duck hunting exactly 50 years ago. I was still wobbly from a serious illness. He rowed across the lake in front of my home to make a blind. As the sun came up, every needle of our spruce-branch blind held an amazing amalgam of light from the dew. I hadn't noticed it before. Doctors had said I would not hunt again. Now I was looking and feeling alive in the world around me. It was magical, exhilarating. I still see those diamonds of light. They taught me something to last the rest of my life.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hear you brother, but for me it's the sound of a covey's flush, the taste of muscadines pulled from the vine, or picked up from the ground; and the smell of fresh bales of cotton waiting for shipment in the warehouse. The smell of cotton was the first sign that hunting season was coming. Now, not only have all the cotton fields been replaced by pine plantations, they have pulled up the railroad tracks and couldn't ship the cotton, if they had any.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

As long as I can remember the bark of a fox & the howl of a dingo cutting through the chill night air has sent a chill of its own down my spine. That chill sends tingles out to every nerve ending & makes me feel so alive.

Speed on a motor cycle or a car, beyond the limit of what I am safely able to respond to. Again, it let me know how alive I really am by heightening my every sense & seasoning that with a healthy pinch of fear.

As a teenager & shooting my 25-06. The sharp cracking report of it rolling away & echoing back to me in waves was always an impressive sound to me. A sound that spoke of power.
Alas, I no longer have that 98 Mauser toped with an 8 power steel tube Weaver. It still brings back fond memories of hunts & times when I hear a 25-06 crack off now.

O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothing beats the smell of burning napalm early in the morning.

KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Many who were there would not find that funny nialmac.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
My young brother took me duck hunting exactly 50 years ago. I was still wobbly from a serious illness. He rowed across the lake in front of my home to make a blind. As the sun came up, every needle of our spruce-branch blind held an amazing amalgam of light from the dew. I hadn't noticed it before. Doctors had said I would not hunt again. Now I was looking and feeling alive in the world around me. It was magical, exhilarating. I still see those diamonds of light. They taught me something to last the rest of my life.

Are you able to hunt now? I hope so!!

Do you mind if I ask what the illness was?

Terry

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm an active hunter, thank you. Myocardial infarct diagnosis; years later not certain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Going on my first dove shoot with Grandaddy, at age 8, in 1959. Had my .410 S x S and a stool. The sounds and the sight of those men taking doves at all angles overhead made a hunter out of me. I took my first dove that day, and never looked back.

Killing my first woodie in flooded timber with a buddy, at about age 13. No waders, no boat. standing on the bank. Watched him drift up against a property line webwire fence that spanned the flooded timber, and was half submerged in the middle where my duck was. I left my gun on the bank and proceeded to "walk" the fence out to get my duck, hoping to keep dry. When I got nearly to it my hunting buddy started shaking the fence posts as hard as he could, hoping I'd fall off into the cold water ............I did, followed by his uproarious laughter, and my threats to kill him when I got back to my gun. He just laughed all the harder. He went to prison 6 years later, and died very young.

Paddling back to the landing from Old River, across Herschman's Lake with my Grandaddy, after a day of fishing. It was early afternoon, and I was about 10, and tired out. As I paddled, in the front seat, and looked down into the lake a huge Alligator Gar slowly rose to just beneath the surface, matching the speed of the boat perfectly, and about two feet from it. He was enormous, the biggest I have ever seen in my life, close to 6 feet long. He stayed there for a few seconds until satisfied what we were, then drifted into the depths from which he came. It was like looking back into time and seeing a prehistoric creature drift into the present, then fade away into the past again.

So many wonderful memories of growing up in the country, on Grandaddy's farm, and in my Daddy's huge country store.

Thanks, for the memories Jon. SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Many who were there would not find that funny nialmac.

Good

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.