OP Offline
Sidelock

does altering forcing offer any benefit to shooters, as suggested here:

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.shotgun-forcing-cones.html

keep it simple and keep it safe...
ed good #478891 04/27/17 11:32 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The link you provide makes the claim of "substantial gain in pattern density" I note they fail to provide actual statistics. Either in what exact changes they are suggesting to what current forcing cone angle and length.

A.C. Jones' work where he does provide data and does not corroborate their claims. He in fact holds the gain is negligible.

My belief is that in extreme cases of very sharp and short forcing cones you may experience some benefit, but those are extreme cases.

In terms of cost to benefit analysis I do not see it as a cost effective modification.

Shooters are often looking for that last percentage plus or some magic solution.

There are a number of modifications that can be done that give minor performance enhancements. None will yield the benefit of simply shooting more targets to gain proficiency.

The best investment is in putting the time on the range to build a consistent shooting style, determining a proper gun fit, and then more targets.

The shooter is the biggest part of the hitting equation.

Once you are consistent in shooting form it is simple; match the gun (to include choke) and the load. The results will improve.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel
The link you provide makes the claim of "substantial gain in pattern density" I note they fail to provide actual statistics. Either in what exact changes they are suggesting to what current forcing cone angle and length.

Gladys, I mean old colonel, is this statement above one sentence, or is it two... or perhaps three???

And could you please provide an intelligible English translation for the following statement?

A.C. Jones' work where he does provide data and does not corroborate their claims. He in fact holds the gain is negligible.

I won't be offering any disingenuous blessings to you today Gladys. Disingenuous blessings are your forte. BTW, did you know that Ed is an anti-gunner? That's why I won't be responding to his silly question about forcing cones. I don't help those who advocate disarming law abiding U.S. citizens, as Ed Good does.

Originally Posted By: ed good
as for the gun control issue...we are the only country in the world that seems to tolerate mass murder, in the name of an individual right...its about time that we as a society realize that we are over gunned with too many super dangerous weapons in the hands of too many super dangerous people... it is long past time to do as the rest of the civilized world has done and simply, disarm...

I'm going outside now to cut grass and do some yard work. You have 8 hours or so to come up with a clever reply. Lot's of luck!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are a number of modifications that can be done that give minor performance enhancements.

I don't believe that is true. Neil Winston once said something like - if the barrel wizards have some secret info as to how to make a barrel shoot better then I want them to take a good barrel and make it shoot worse and have it still look factory. Guess how many stepped up to show him?
I've shot some barrels that were absolutely hideous inside, a couple that were very likely dangerous, but it didn't seem to make any difference to the kill factor.
It's a shotgun - - - get over it

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
ed good #478900 04/27/17 12:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Every thread I look at the idiot Keith is in there, has he been released from the sicko house again ?

ed good #478901 04/27/17 12:50 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I didn't know better, I'd think you don't like me 300846.

Originally Posted By: 300846
Every thread I look at the idiot Keith is in there, has he been released from the sicko house again ?

No matter what the subject there is always the same [censored] adding his insulting comments.
post # 446316 6/7/16

The world would agree that there is no greater [censored] than Piers Morgan and then along comes Keith to challenge for the title.
post #442091 4/19/16

I will be smiling the rest of the day just knowing I hit a nerve with you. Thanks.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

ed good #478913 04/27/17 04:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Please:
No more lengthened forcing cones, back boring, porting threads......sheesh.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
ed good #478916 04/27/17 04:40 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would say lengthening forcing cone(s) does indeed offer better patterns, both in central core density and in overall size of the pattern. 20 years or so ago, I sent the barrels of my field grade Citori off to Seminole Choke in Fla. I asked them to give my barrels their 5" extra long forcing cone treatment. Within a couple of weeks, my barrels came back with the shiny new forcing cones so long you really can't tell where the end. As this is my main duck gun and I mainly shoot 3" hard non toxic shot out of it, I didn't devote much time to paper patterning.

Bouyed by that success, I ordered a 20 ga forcing cone reamer and forcing cone hone from Brownells to try my hand on my inexpensive Savage 20 ga single shot. This reamer cuts cones 1.5" long. This gun I did paper test and the difference in core density was noticeable. I told my buddy about it and he asked me to lengthen the cone on his inexpensive single shot Savage. I paper patterned his before and after and it tightened the total size of the pattern enough that I went and bought a choke reamer to open his choke up a little. After that I lengthened the cone on my Savage bolt action 58D and my Mossberg 500 in 20 ga. In all instances, I had a better looking pattern and reduced perceived kick.

Then I bought a 12 ga reamer from Brownells and a hone and did the cones on my Iver Johnson Hercules. That gun is full and full and shot exclusively with Bismuth. In addition to more even looking patterns, the front trigger no longer bleeds my trigger finger when I shoot the back trigger.

While it is fun to read other's opinions, as one who has done this particular modification, I feel confident in stating that there is gain to be realized.

Mergus

Duckboats, decoys and double barrels...
ed good #478917 04/27/17 04:51 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sherman Bell reported one improvement from lengthened cones not mentioned in the link above: If you're shooting long shells in short chambers, there's almost always an increase in pressure, from a few hundred psi to sometimes 1,000 psi or a bit more. Simply lengthening the cone without lengthening the chamber will offset much of the pressure increase.

ed good #478923 04/27/17 05:31 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

You naysayers either discount the .410 as not mattering in the discussion, or don't remember ChuckH's results from lengthening his forcing cones on his little guns to 4-5". He documented the results and showed before and after patterns on here. There was an incredible difference. Do a search and you can probably find the discussion.

If you're talking about only 12 ga. results you should say so.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.