March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (NZHunter, L. Brown, LGF, SKB), 230 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#444161 05/15/16 07:42 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After reading some of the recent posts in the hunting thread I started a search for these inserts. I believe GaugeMates and ChamberMates have either slowed or stopped making these inserts for the time being but here is another company providing them in various rifle calibers,

http://mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

Anyone try these out in their shotguns?

Good, Bad or Ugly?

All opinions welcomed. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a thread a couple months back about this entitled ".22LR S x S". In it I posted that I had called and talked with the man who makes and sells the MCA inserts, and found out that the empties have to be removed by use of a cleaning rod, knocking them out from the muzzle end. I decided not to pursue them when I learned that. We talked at length about regulation and such. He is a one-man-show, as he put it. Does everything himself.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have often used GaugeMates in 10 gauge shotguns in order to shoot 12 gauge ammo at clay birds. I always used either Remington STS or Winchester AA ammo, since that is recommended by GaugeMate in order to avoid sticking. The GaugeMates worked like a charm for me. I would recommend them, if they are still made or if you can pick up a set on Ebay. I do not have any experience with the situation Stan mentions, but my "10 into 12 gauge" purposes, the GaugeMate Golds were excellent.

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

One problem that can arise with rifle caliber inserts in shotguns is primer flow into the larger firing pin holes in the breech, which can lock up the gun. It can be a problem in older riles also that were built for black powder ammo. The problem is worse in guns with rebounding hammers as there is nothing to hold the firing pins forward. I have a full length insert in caliber .40-50 Sharps bottle neck that may have been made by Remington that I have never tried because I don't want to fool with black powder cleaning.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might consider these:
http://www.gunadapters.com/

I have not used them, but they look interesting in that the spent shell or cartridge appears to be removable by hand.

I wish that Gaugemates were still available--I continue to search for a 10ga insert.

Berrien

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also--Has anyone had experience with these: http://shotgunadapter.com

They are the only 10gauge adapter that I can find

Thanks

Berrien

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I called GaugeMates about a month ago to inquire about their 16 gauge to 45 Long colt adapter and the gentleman said that their web-site hadn't been updated for months and they have very little stock left. He explained that the owner is into other things gun related and that he may be back making these adapters but has no plans at present. He didn't explain what 'gun related' meant.

I have 2 sets of GaugeMates 16 gauge to 20 gauge inserts and they work alright. I bought them because of logistical problems of the 16 gauge and wide open spaces. But I figure also that for boar or bear encounter problems you could always slug or buckshot one barrel. I was going to buy one insert (16 gauge to 45 Long Colt) and test at certain ranges if they are more accurate then a slug.

But a shotgun slug packs a wallop.

Ballistics Information:
•Muzzle Velocity: 1510 fps
•Muzzle Energy: 2460 ft/lbs

Ballistics Information:
•Muzzle Velocity: 1600 fps
•Muzzle Energy: 1989 ft/lbs

Sidelock
Sidelock

At one time I had a Krieghoff made 16ga/22LR insert barrel. This barrel could be sighted in to the shotgun sights & had its own extractor. It was very accurate & could be removed & reinserted without losing Zero. It was also quite expensive, I don't know if they are made anymore. These were made primarily for use in drillings which of course had sights for the rifle barrel.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

The insert barrels like 2-piper described are called Einstecklaufs, and are very useful, because the point of impact can be adjusted to correspond to what ever sights you have at any useful range. I use these in s couple of my drillings and have used them to take hare, squirrel, raccoon, and bobcat. The ones I have are in 22lr and 22 mag., but are available in many other calibers. The point of impact can't be adjusted with the chamber inserts, but they can still be somewhat useful at close range. The ones for shot shells shoot to the point of impact dictated by the barrel and can be very useful for various purposes.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is an example web site regarding Einstecklaufs

http://www.frankonia.de/Einstecklauf/Ansicht.html?Artikelnummer=96051

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.